• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biochem Mystery 1 - anyone else with a biochem myatery?

Fell free to add your own biochem mystery in comments or of course suggestions or expertise welcome

I tried to start a new blog since this is not related to Covid but I don’t know how to do that if anyone does please let me know

Happy to discuss the biochem
Pathway in nitty gritty detail. if anyone interested- please PM me.

I am trying to figure out how to lower my beta alanine levels ( high in urine), which will allow me to eliminate my taurine deficiency.

The usual suspect for high beta alanine besides supplements (whoch i think is a DUMB) thing for near anyone to do)! Is pathogenic levels of yeast or a bad bacteria. Neither seem applicable Massive quantities of red meat or poultry especially white meat, or salmon or rabbit can do it too m but i dont fall into that category either.

And there the rabbit hole ends- not sure what else to uncover.

I can descusd the biochem
Pathway in detail if anyone interested- please PM me.

Woukd be ideal to know the cause of the elevation but Not clear I have to inorder to get rid of it. Oh of course without knowing why I run the risk of “fixing” something that seems bad, even if I was successful, that might be there for a very important reason.
Reactions: Judee

Comments

And again, the 'quote' function won't. So copy and paste ...

"I am trying to figure out how to lower my beta alanine levels
( high in urine), which will allow me to eliminate my taurine deficiency."

I slept thru most of biochem, not even sure why I took it, so Im useless to you here, beyond the very basic levels.

Do you have any kind of timeline as to when your urine started showing high beta alanine? Pre-COVID, or concomitant with COVID onset? The breakdown of yeast or fungi in the body can cause increased levels of urinary beta-alanine, and COVID could be just the little bustard to do that in its off-handed, sort of sideways way .....

Forgive me, I cant remember if you took any ABX during COVID. Im thinking not, but not sure .... they could have caused kidney insult which would explain the hi beta alanine. Urinary beta-alanine excretion is also associated with bacterial fermentation in the gut and could indicate indicate dysbiosis.

But you know all this. I'm useless here.

Have you tried a creatine supplement? NO !!!! Wait .... I think creatine is an alternate or agonist to beta-alanine.

Which leaves strychnine, which NO one wants to fluck with.

My brain is like soft scrambled tofu right now, incapable of holding any shape or thought.

I'll just see myself out ....

And again, copy and paste ...

"Oh of course without knowing why I run the risk of “fixing”
something that seems bad, even if I was successful, that might be

there for a very important reason."

Yeah that's always the battle when dealing with the deeper mysteries of what does what to what, and why. I'm back to rambling about ABX and the the disequilibriating of your gut in some way .... leading to an overgrowth of bad bacteria or fungi that your body's trying to shed, causing the higher than normal urinary b-alanine ...

@Rufous McKinney Thats Criminal! 94% is an an A. Professor must’ve been crap or perhaps having to defend some bad style that would look bad in music

@YippeeKi YOW !! Its been going on a long time years. Long before covid and i can see it getting worse over the years . The only time it s been low enough was when inwas eating almoat no meat lor poultry (and therefore no anserine or carnitine built up)!. Back then cheese was my primary protein. When i developed an allergy, i had to start eating other things

Professor must’ve been crap or perhaps having to defend some bad style that would look bad in music

one of my biggest regrets in life was not filling a grievance.

(should have grieved, more often) (or felt aggrieved, more intensely)

He curved the grades down when the class was entirely graduate students.

All of whom actually wanted to take the class and actually studied and all of them earned an A, myself included so THERE,

one of my biggest regrets in life was not filling a grievance.

(should have grieved, more often) (or felt aggrieved, more intensely)

He curved the grades down when the class was entirely graduate students.

All of whom actually wanted to take the class and actually studied and all of them earned an A, myself included so THERE,
That is really sick. There’s nothing wrong with every graduate student in a class getting an A so you have to wonder what that was about.
Unless of course he knew that one day you’d forget it all (Id add a smiley face here except I can’t figure out where where they put them)

Unless of course he knew that one day you’d forget it all (Id add a smiley face here except I can’t figure out where where they put them)

I think I forgot most EVERYTHING I ever learned, or its some sketchy version.

And the longer I live the sketchier it becomes!

I'll try to find that tweet again.

You may remember more than you know you remember and plus all that @Rufous McKinney learning made you smarter. It’s a learning to learn phenomenon even if you forget the specifics and probably your time to learn it again should you ever be inclined to do so I would be shorter

I tried to start a new blog since this is not related to Covid but I don’t know how to do that if anyone does please let me know
dont dispair women, a man is underway to help...
but then the man realized he cant figure it out himself.
- it seams like they disabled the feature to create new blogs. only posting in existing blogs is possible right now.

Stated previously but...

Elevated levels of staphylococcus or streptococcus, use of antibiotics, and breakdown of yeast or fungi in the body can result in increased levels of urinary beta-alanine. Continuously elevated beta-alanine can be detrimental by impairing renal conservation of taurine. Possible treatment if high: Supplement B6 (to facilitate amine group transfer).

Beta-Alanine - Lab Results explained | HealthMatters.io

healthmatters.io/understand-blood-test-results/beta-alanine-genova

healthmatters.io/understand-blood-test-results/beta-alanine-genova

The blood test explanation describes Beta-alanine as a breakdown product of carnosine, but it also works the other way:
What Is Beta-Alanine
Beta-alanine supports the synthesis of a di-peptide called carnosine, which acts as a buffer against lactic acid. Studies have shown that elevated levels of carnosine in the body delays the onset of muscle fatigue. Delayed muscle fatigue means increased time to exhaustion, which can extend endurance, improve workout volume, build muscle strength, sharpen mental focus, and enhance peak performance [R].

IMHO Nothing to be concerned about. It's your bodies natural response to resolving muscle fatigue (and PEM):
Beta alanine is considered one of the most effective sports supplements of all time. Widely known for its iconic “tingles”, otherwise known as paresthesia, studies have shown that the non-essential amino acid beta alanine significantly improves muscular endurance and exercise capacity.

Today I started supplementing with Beta-alanine to see if it helps. It has almost no taste and causes a tingling sensation. I'll let you know how my experiment turns out.

Blog entry information

Author
vision blue
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from vision blue