• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by Runner5

Runner5
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I just finished reading, "The Moth In the Iron Lung: A Biography of Polio" by Forrest Maready I read a lot and it's one of the top 5 influential books I've read in my life. It really made me change my perspective and ask new questions and reframe my understanding about Polio and even...
Runner5
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Hi everyone! I don't really have anything new to report but wanted to say hello. I've been taking my legos out and photographing them with my macro lens. ;-P My husband did a freelance gig a few months ago and they gave him a brand new Canon EOS camera -- that would have been a dream of...
Runner5
7 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
So in earlier posts, I echoed an unoriginal thought that CFS, at least MY version that I deal with, was metabolic in origin. I pointed to a pretty good article on Health Rising and some work by Dr. Davis (I'll try to link that below) -- and just the dart in the dark that most of all that ails...
Runner5
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
It is the blueberry season in Oregon, and I have this box, 5lbs of blueberries. They're gorgeous and exceptional this year - perfectly tart, not too watery, just the right ripeness and firm. I'm going to take some photos today - see if I can paint a picture of them. I'm working on a portrait...
Runner5
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
My period came about and I was fine one minute and woke up with fatigue the next day. But I'm doing a little better, this level of fatigue is still better than how I was doing before. And based on my wee online spreadsheet I've been keeping of symptoms it should look up in a few days. The...
Runner5
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Hi everyone, your friend Postiive Paula here from the PNW, Oregon Coast. So on my last blog post had a few questions asked and my reply was too long to fit into the reply box! So without further ado... @sherlock asks.... "Have you tried an ibuprofen before bed to reduce urine production...
Runner5
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Originally started writing this as an answer about GET - realized it worked better as an entire blog post! GET (graded exercise therapy) f you exercise while in an anaerobic mode, it's like switching your Lamborgini over to a few D batteries and pushing the pedal to the floor. And then it's...
Runner5
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Hey guys, I'm leaving the forum. First because I spend too much time here, I don't have a facebook account or real life friends so it was always y'all and just y'all. Second because I'm feeling great, I'm about to head out for a run, my first run training to get back into shape. Couch to...
Runner5
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
"You Have Died of Dysentery" -- Oregon Trail, The Game Hey it's your girl here from Oregon (and yeah I did move here from Missouri - Oregon trail ya' know? Okay anyway...) Last week I wrote a Manifesto on protein. I was always short amino acids (L-Glutamine, L-Tyrosine and L-Tryptophan in...
Runner5
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
Just a thought, in most of the civilized world we take in many times more protein than recommended (and don't get even half the RDA of fiber). Even on a Vegan diet I usually get twice the RDA every day in protein. What if stripped down processed protein is as bad as processed sugar or white...
Runner5
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
If you've followed my saga of going through a million exams lately and blood tests - I did finally get somewhere - a diagnosis of, "it's probably fibromyalgia or related illness." I also have early heart disease and prediabetes. So that's where I'm at, but figured I would give you all an...
Runner5
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Hello CFS Posse! Your girl her from the Oregon coast writing in letting you know how my health has been doing. Last week was more hospital testing and I picked up a superbug from the little country hospital on the ocean where everything is jammed together, old people, influenza kids, strep...
Runner5
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
My fatigue and pain levels have been a lot worse. I dragged myself into see a doctor, the only one I could see was a new person, but hey they turned out to be really competent and didn't lecture me about my 'imagined illness' or something which I've found so demoralizing, embarrassing and sad...
Runner5
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I'll tell you what I told my kids. Why? WHY! Seriously. C'MON DNA - there is no reason to put me through this. You could just leave my body alone and then make me drop dead at an appropriate time. This is UNCALLED FOR. My bony little hands without any fat left in them that burn easily...
Runner5
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I've been doing loads better strictly following my new diet. But then some Sucralose snuck in and I've had an ocular migraine for over 24 hours. That is why this is so short of a blog post. Splenda sucks. I hate you Splenda. I hate you and your artificial goodness. May you be properly...
Runner5
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
My subconcious creative side has been caged by CFS / ME for five years but by setting out to paint, design and bring CFS from the inside dark cranies of my confused tired brain onto a canvas, or scrawled doodled into a sketchbook - it can tell me about itself and maybe give me some breadcrumbs...
Runner5
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I barely know this person. She is in a knit hat with cat ears. I have two of those -- before they became political. I just really like cats. I collect almost anything cat related, when I bother to collect anything...the conversation is getting grim... I'm squirming uncomfortably....more and...
Runner5
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I have become a beige uninteresting person who just looks for moments to rest in, falling behind on goals then deleting the goals and then making very simple goals...(*shower today*) I'm not the sort of energetic bright charasmatic person someone wants to be friends with and I worry I'm going...
Runner5
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
Few things hold more trepidation for me then being 'trapped' some place, in line, where I have to put on my 'normal face' and hang out bored with strangers (worst: standing in a line which I find nearly impossible). But our local DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) is someplace super special...
Runner5
7 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I've had almost two weeks of 'remission' -- not 100% but my window of activity and energy is enough to get in some exercise and I decided to start training for a Sweet Heart 5K fun run February 10th (fun runs allow walking and are non-competitive, a 5K distance is a little over 3 miles). I'm...