• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by Merry

Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from Wild: An Elemental Journey by Jay Griffiths . . . Rasmussen relates a shaman, Igjugarjuk, telling him "True wisdom is only to be found far away from people, out in the great solitude, and it is not found in play but only through suffering. Solitude and suffering open the human mind...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
White Towels by Richard Jones I have been studying the difference between solitude and loneliness, telling the story of my life to the clean white towels taken warm from the dryer as though they were my children asleep in my arms. This poem by Richard Jones (American, born 1953)...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Safe Love by Lydia Davis She was in love with her son's pediatrician. Alone out in the country -- could anyone blame her. There was an element of grand passion in this love. It was also a safe thing. The man was on the other side of a barrier. Between him and her: the child on the...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Dim Lady by Harryette Mullen My honeybunch's peepers are nothing like neon. Today's special at Red Lobster is redder than her kisser. If Liquid Paper is white, her racks are institutional beige. If her mop were Slinkys, dishwater Slinkys would grow on her noggin. I have seen...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Sixteen by Sandor Marai The light askance that blazed up in your eyes The fog that cloaked my eyes and kept them shut The glove through which your pulse would dip and rise The lust that tied my body in a knot The minute that escaped us with shrill cries The life without you that is...
Merry
1 min read
Views
User Blogs
Sonnet for a Tango in the Twilight by Jorge Luis Borges Who was it said it all in a homegrown tango Whose drawn-out, lovely sweetness made me pause Under some unassuming little balconies In that leafy neighborhood that isn't even yours? All I know is that in its sorrow I saw a...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Robert Sat by Tom Matthews The congregation was scandalized When Robert sat in his pew and read a paperback My mother said afterwards "If he wasn't interested why did he come" And I marvelled at her For she never thought to apply the criterion to me And I marvelled at Robert...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Ah, February. I should, like Target, devote myself this month to Eros. Although at Target perhaps every day is Valentine's Day: the bull's eye, the pit bull, the red, red, red. Here are two works that appeared in a love and marriage issue of Quick Fiction a few years ago. It's a print...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Mortal Poem by Dean Young I do not understand why I love you. The mustard in your hair? Your breasts like shiny battleships, your thought control? Reasons seem so insufficient, reason itself seems insufficient. The sea rushes up to the beach of no reason, inveigling chimes of no...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Emmanuelle asked if "From My Commonplace Book" is a collection of writings I like, and the answer is yes. A few years ago, I was given a beautiful leather-bound journal, and I decided to write in it passages I liked from books I'd borrowed from the public library. Recently I decided to...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
excerpts: Two Kinds of Decay: A Memoir by Sarah Manguso My mornings were occupied by bathing, eating, drinking a protein drink, having my central line dressed and flushed by the visiting nurse, and exercising pathetically little with the visiting physical therapist. After the fourth or...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The first poem is by Lee Ann Brown. Since the title functions as the first word in the poem, I decided not to separate it from the poem with the author's name. Words weren't enough for her. She often made high cat cries and danced hard on the blue carpet. Autobiographia...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Here are two light-hearted poems in honor of Martlet's newborn cousin, Liberty Rose, who has struggled in her first days with life-threatening illness. Martlet now reports that little Libby is doing much better. Acurracy by Naomi Shihab Nye Lyda Rose walked through our front door and...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The Festival by Miroslav Holub At the festival of patients with all the known diseases the crutch choir sings for the pacemakers. The double astigmatic landscape gratefully swallows the murmurs of the mitral valve. In the candlelit college hall corticosteroids anoint psoriases...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Diagnoses by Miroslav Holub Measles provoke the onset of evening, like heavy felt. Cavities in teeth open rocks. Smallpox pits give contours to the map. Radiation diseases show us our place in the cosmos. Liver inflammations heighten Fragonard's sensitivity to...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
In the years following the fall of the Berlin Wall, I was lined up by the fire with the old people. I was just there trying to get used to my new existence as a doorstop. And as I waited, before me those loved ones of the older generation toppled over one after the other. These, my elder...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
I lie quiet in my bed. Nativity in there, little hard heads butted up of the Divine and his folks; shepherds' hooks, crowns of the kings; poke of a hoof and a stick and straw and roof peak; and too many points of a terrible star.