• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by Merry

Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from "Autonomy of the Mind" by Tsering Wangmo Dhompa Mrs. Dhondyo says life is not a happy lollipop and she has said that before. Not in so many words but when her brother lost his house in a neighborhood fire, and she went out to save what she could; while he went to his buddies...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Styrofoam Cup by Brenda Hillman thou still unravished thou thou, thou bride thou unstill, thou unravished unbride unthou unbride Brenda Hillman (1951, American) is called in her Poetry Foundation bio an "electic formalist." The entry goes on to say: "Brenda Hillman is known for...
Merry
5 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from Mille et un sentiments by Denise Duhamel 401. I feel open to writing in general. 402. I feel open to free writing, sestinas, and haiku. 403. I feel open to sonnets and canzones, villanelles and pantoums. 404. I feel open to collages and centos. 405. I feel open to memory...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from A Voice Through a Cloud by Denton Welch The pain, like some huge grizzly bear, seemed to take me between its paws. I screamed from sheer shock at its sudden increased violence. "Stop it!" the nurses said together. "You'll wake the others." They seemed about to stifle me if I dared to...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Berkeley in the Time of Plague by Jack Spicer Plague took us and the land from under us, Rose like a boil, enclosing us within. We waited and the blue skies writhed awhile Becoming black with death. Plague took us and the chairs from under us, Stepped cautiously while entering the...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
A Mown Lawn by Lydia Davis She hated mown lawn. Maybe that was because mow was the reverse of wom, the beginning of the name of what she was -- a woman. A mown lawn had a sad sound to it, like a long moan. From her, a mown lawn made a long moan. Lawn had some of the letters of man...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from "Findings", Harper's Magazine, March 2011 Luc Montagnier, corecipient of the 2008 Nobel Prize in Medicine for discovering HIV, claimed to have teleported DNA. Montagnier described an experiment wherein DNA's faint electromagnetic signature made an "imprint" in the water of one test...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Age by Kay Ryan As some people age they kinden. The apertures of their eyes widen. I do not think they weaken; I think something weak strengthens until they are more and more it, like letting in heaven. But other people are mussels or clams, frightened. Steam or knife blades mean...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Music by Robert Walser Music is the sweetest thing in the world. I absolutely adore notes. I'll run a thousand paces just to hear one. Often when I'm walking through the hot streets in summer and hear the sounds of a piano from an unknown house I stop in my tracks, ready to die on the...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from "Wants" by Grace Paley I saw my ex-husband in the street. I was sitting on the steps of the new library. Hello, my life, I said. We had once been married twenty-seven years, so I felt justified. He said, What? What life? No life of mine. I said, O.K. I don't argue when...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
On Occasion by Grace Paley I forget the names of my friends and the names of the flowers in my garden___ my friends remind me Grace___it's us___the flowers just stand there stunned by the sun A long time ago my mother said darling___there are also wildflowers but look___these I...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
"Who was Mary Shelley?" by Lorine Niedecker Who was Mary Shelley? What was her name before she married? She eloped with this Shelley she rode a donkey till the donkey had to be carried. Mary was Frankenstein's creator his yellow eye before her husband was to drown Created...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Teaching About Diseases by Miroslav Holub Puppet diseases are tiny and thread-like, with funereal fur coats and huge ears. And little clawed feet. There is no fever, just sawdust sifting from the sleeves. Diarrhea is like intellectual melancholy. Irregular heartbeats is like...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
"The fineness of things gives the universe nobility" by Jean Follain The fineness of things gives the universe nobility. Behind each thing a password lies hidden. These fragile cups, these crystal glasses, how carefully they must be put into the cupboard! The maid gets up on a chair...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from "Findings" in Harper's Magazine, April 2010 Bees can remember human faces, but only if they are tricked into thinking we are strange flowers. The Bee Tapping Inside Your Car's Back Window by David Shevin He say we goin to the same place tonight? He say I'm a worker just...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from The Songs of Kabir II. 22. man tu pr utar knh jaiho To what shore would you cross, O my heart? there is no traveller before you, there is no road: Where is the movement, where is the rest, on that shore? There is no water; no boat, no boatman, is there; There is not so much...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
SciFaiku by Tom Brinck after the rockets * * * * depart ... a resistor* * * * * on the windowsill* Bathing* her reptilian skin --* small bubbles on glossy green.* summer heat:* your brainslug* abruptly loses its grip* birth defect:* he comes out kicking, screaming,*...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
A Clear Midnight by Walt Whitman This is thy hour O Soul, thy free flight into the wordless, Away from books, away from art, the day erased, the lesson done, Thee fully forth emerging, silent, gazing, pondering the themes thou lovest best, Night, sleep, death, and the stars...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
1. Reveal thyself, reveal thyself but I am the one from whom God's face remains hidden. 2. In every field I searched and into the woods and cried, Where are the pink rimmed eyes of that white faced cow? 3. By night with fever I dreamed a dream full of longing...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from Invisible: A Memoir by Hugues de Montalembert I lost my friends along with my sight. My girlfriend at that time refused to see me. Some people can't cope with it - that's all. But I didn't think much about it at the time. I was too absorbed in my fight to go back to life...