• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by Merry

Merry
1 min read
Views
User Blogs
from The Meaning of Tingo: And Other Extraordinary Words from Around the World by Adam Jacot de Boinod tingo (Pascunese, Easter Island) to take all the objects one desires from the house of a friend, one at a time, by borrowing them neko-neko (Indonesian) one who has a creative idea...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from The Children's Ward by Jane Cooper Take her north to a doctor you can trust. She's dying, and you're dying watching her. That's the way my mother told the story to my aunt. . . . . . . My mother didn't want to leave me alone on the ward but I was delighted. Every day while...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from The Infusion Room by Jane Cooper Mercy on Marianne who through a hole beneath her collarbone drinks the life-preserving fluid, while in her arm another IV tube drips something green. It never effects me, she says, I'm fortunate. She has Crohn's and rheumatoid arthritis and now...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from Winter: Five Windows on the Season by Adam Gopnik . . . [US naval master Dr. E. K.] Kane and his men, on their way to rescue four of their companions in the Arctic in 1854, suffer from hypothermia so severe that they fall asleep for hours at a time standing up, then turn and wake...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
In the Field by J. E. Wei The bungalow is empty now. The clock swings in silence. (I see Grandpa taking me to the urine bucket on a mossy floor, where bamboo curtains moldered.) The bigger room of the first uncle is filled with webs; over there, the second uncles smells dusty; the...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Three Poems by Ted Kooser Horse In its stall stands the 19th century, its hide a hot shudder of satin, head stony and willful, an eye brown as a river and watchful: a sentry a long way ahead of a hard, dirty army of hooves. A Winter Morning A farmhouse window far back...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Sometime the Cow Kick Your Head by Andrew J. Grossman Sometime the cow kick your head Sometime she just moo Even the cow don't know What she going to do Until she look at you Knocked out upon the ground And she say, "Woo My leg do that to him" This poem was published...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The Yellow Bicycle by Robert Hass The woman I love is greedy, but she refuses greed. She walks so straightly. When I ask her what she wants, she says, A yellow bicycle. . Sun, sunflower, coltsfoot on the roadside, a goldfinch, the sign that says Yield, her hair...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Four Short Poems by Four Poets Longing Ever since you touched my wrist, the world is a room full of apples. - Kate Angus Two Men in a Bathroom When the son must shave the father since the old man's hand began to shake too much to draw the straight razor smoothly...
Merry
2 min read
Views
User Blogs
Mutations of Immortality from an interview with Christian Bok conducted by Jonathan Ball Could you describe your next project? The Xenotext Experiment is responding to the millenial science of genetics. I'm trying to write a book of poetry in which I translate a single poem, through a...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
One Hundred and First Reason to Stay in Your Room by Franz Wright I was just coming from a visit to my doctor. Not the medical one this time, though they both work for the same company. One of those inimitably dark April days in Boston, the cold returned, though not in a big way: gray...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Autumn Day by Rainer Maria Rilke Lord, it is time. The summer was too long. Lay down thy shadow over the sundials, and on the meadows let the winds blow strong. Bid the last fruit to ripen on the vine; allow them still two friendly southern days to bring them to perfection and to...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
21 Greguerias by Daniel Liebert 1. Sunlight 90 million miles and then through a baby's ear. 2. Old shoes speak the pungent slang of feet. 3. Musical instruments go blind in pawnshop windows. 4. A coffee ring on a book is the hoof-print of Pegasus. 5. Birds began as...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from Mirrors of the Unseen: Journeys in Iran by Jason Elliot I had come to a small village on the edge of the desert to follow an unlikely clue. Years before, I had read an enigmatic mention of "a monastery in Persia" where visitors were said to weep spontaneously on entering a...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Sleep Aid by Dean Young Do you wake up sooner than you go to sleep? Do you have trouble falling? Is your heart made of fire but your mouth ash? Do you think of your life as a black hole and everything hurried along, every amphibian, every eyelash hurried along? What other drugs...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The Job Application by Robert Walser Esteemed gentlemen, I am a poor, young, unemployed person in the business field, my name is Wenzel, I am seeking a suitable position, and I take the liberty of asking you, nicely and politely, if perhaps in your airy, bright, amiable rooms...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from The Business Guide: On Safe Methods of Business by J. L. Nichols, A. M. (1904 edition; originally published 1886) Genius, Capital, Skill, Labor Here is a comparative table of genius, capital, skill, labor, on the mutual basis of the almighty dollar. Genius. The power...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
[For those who have trouble reading large blocks of text, I have, below the text in original formatting, broken up the long paragraph of the prose poem.] Young Armless Man in the Barbecue Restaurant by Phyllis Koestenbaum The hostess seats a girl and a young man in a short-sleeve sport...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
An Apology by F. J. Bergmann Forgive me for backing over and smashing your red wheelbarrow. It was raining and the rear wiper does not work on my new plum-colored SUV. I am also sorry about the white chickens. This poem was a finalist for the 2003 James...
Merry
1 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell . . . To be someone's best friend requires a minimum investment in time. More than that, though, it takes emotional energy. Caring about someone deeply is exhausting. At a certain point, somewhere...