• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by JaimeS

JaimeS
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
This blog entry developed from a conversation here, and went off onto too much of a tangent to leave there! The commentary was discussing that the BPS school claimed that 20% of patients could recover (dubious in and of itself), and found this an acceptable percentage (which would not be...
JaimeS
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Okay, so in my former life as a teacher, one of the most useful things I did was to produce cards. Cards of various sorts; cards of all shapes and sizes. It was really useful to make games or create interesting methods of problem-solving. It didn't so much take the 'art' gene as the...
JaimeS
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Let me share something with you. A few phrases that never fail to make me feel at ease and home, no matter what. (from Fantastic Elements in J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' ; very interesting slideshow, check it out.) As pretty as this all is, it is missing some of the best parts; and if you...
JaimeS
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Whenever I think about gardens and healing, invariably I think of With some CBT and GET, I'm sure Collin will get over needing that wheelchair in no time! However, as @Gondwanaland pointed out recently in regards to her newly-gained PhD :balloons::balloons::balloons: it really does help to...
JaimeS
7 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I feel confident that some of you are laughing, already. Let's be honest, here. Even people with minor-to-moderate ME (like me) can't keep a schedule. If you have minor-to-moderate ME, some days you feel almost normal, and the symptoms you do experience are relatively easy to handle or...
JaimeS
1 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Well, or it will be when we collect some more! Main Dishes Bread, Muffins, and Biscuits Adventure Bread - this adventure is super-easy to have, and very delicious toasted. The recipe's claim to fame is that it isn't a grain... it's nuts and seeds. Desserts Cookie in a Cup! - for when you...
JaimeS
9 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
So, after seeing Kenny DeMeirlier in Reno, and talking on the phone with him in Brussels, I found out a few very important things, the first of which is that I love antibiotics. If it were legal in my state, I would possibly marry antibiotics, so long as I could have final say in how we'd raise...
JaimeS
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Sometimes, you just want something sweet and delicious, and you don't want to have to work like a dog to get it. This can be especially difficult when you have ME and something in you is calling for something sweet and carbohydrate-filled. I use the flour I have on hand, but in general, you...
JaimeS
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Okay, so: Adventure Bread. This bread is seriously an adventure. It is an adventure because it's going to ask you to boldly go where you have never gone before: to a bread with no grains in it whatsoever. The difference between a grain and a seed may seem like splitting hairs, but they are...
JaimeS
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
or : an even shorter note for your actually-interested doctor To give you a sweeping generalization of the currently competing theories of ME etiology: ME is due to a chronic infection of the CNS ME is due to some infectious 'trigger', but said trigger is long since conquered by the immune...
JaimeS
13 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Myalgic encephalomyelitis: a multi-system disorder Myalgic encephalomyelitis, or ME, is classified as a neurological disorder by the World Health Organization, in the same category as ALS, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s. However, the illness is a complex and multifactorial disorder with...
JaimeS
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
So, you should be aware, if you've simply clicked at the bottom of the prior entry, that fourteen weeks passed between this time and that. Like individual epochs. Like the movement of the icebergs, ladies and gentlemen. Like the years between George R.R. Martin novels. From my experience...
JaimeS
11 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
I've written on this paper so many times now that I'm beginning to think it should be called Jaime's Bane, like the Ring of Power or something. I have literally written to the researchers and informed them of a mistake in their data, that's how long I've been looking at this thing. Which means...
JaimeS
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
So, when we left off, we were about to click on the marvelous link that was going to tell us the answers to life, the universe and everything. I mean... the structure of the protein. Yeah. ;) We were right there. Let's see what we've got. We want to click where it says 'Output File'...
JaimeS
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
First of all, huge thanks to @Valentijn , without whom this post - and likely a majority of the ones before it - would not exist. You can find the majority of the information here in the comments section of the previous post. So, how do you tell if the protein structure has been altered in a...
JaimeS
5 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
If you're just joining us, you may want to go back to the previous post (link at the end of the entry) because we're continuing our discussion right from where we left off: Woo hoo! You'll see that rs61750615 "appears to be an incomplete dominant". Lo and behold, there is a citation! If...
JaimeS
3 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
So, @garyfritz had a question regarding a SNP that didn't have so much information on NCBI, and it inspired me to start this entry. There are very few SNPs that are the subject of so many studies as rs234706 (even through the worst brain fog, I will always remember that SNP!) ;) So let's say...
JaimeS
8 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
So now comes the challenging bit. You've gathered all the information you can. You've used some of the services to try and interpret your data. What now? Let's face the problem head-on. As ME patients, we don't have a lot of focus. It's hard to devote any kind of energy to anything, and...
JaimeS
9 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
So, ladies and gents, I haven't received any results back from de Meirlier's offices yet, but two topics have been a-brewing in my brain meanwhile. I figured I'd give the tougher one of those two a shot. The 'tougher' issue is SNPs. I'm going to write this up as a primer, so that anyone who...
JaimeS
15 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Okay, can I start by saying I'm feeling better? It's been a slow, SLOW climb. It was around December when I first began to believe I was feeling better by inches, but I didn't trust it. For a long time, I had a five-->seven day cycle - decent for three to five days, awful for two - and I...