• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by INDEPENDENCE OT

INDEPENDENCE OT
7 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
I wrote this article in late 2011, while coming to terms with a recent diagnosis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Looking back, the article was an attempt to process the reasons why I had yet to receive any treatment or treatment advice from the National...
INDEPENDENCE OT
3 min read
Views
User Blogs
How many symptoms does a person who suffers from Myalgic Encephalomyelitis /Chronic Fatigue Syndrome have? Answer multiple by definition of diagnosis. Do they change in severity? Do they ever alleviate? Do old symptoms return and new symptoms arrive? I bet the answer to most, if not all of...
INDEPENDENCE OT
4 min read
Views
User Blogs
Continued........... My family have direct experience of the symptoms and disability a diary allergy can produce. My wife is lactose intolerant. Even though she knew drinking milk and eating certain cheeses caused her to become bloated, she would often sneak a bit in here and there. It was not...
INDEPENDENCE OT
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Continued………… Malabsorption is a form of malnutrition caused by the small intestines incapacity to absorb vital nutrients from the food we eat. This process happens when the small intestine becomes ineffective due to the villi (cells lining the small intestine) becoming flattened. The villi...
INDEPENDENCE OT
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) presents with an anthology of symptoms. Each symptom has a connective cause, which when investigated can be understood and treatment applied. Causes can include oxidative stress, mitochondria dysfunction, food intolerance, leaky gut...
INDEPENDENCE OT
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
Many years ago I had an accident at work. I won’t detail what happened but I was unable to go back to my job as a tree surgeon in its full capacity. After a very difficult time I decided to return to education, finished a degree and completely changed the course of my life and career. I never...
INDEPENDENCE OT
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
There is one area of ME/CFS treatment, which is agreed upon to be beneficial by all groups, working within the treatment of ME/CFS and living with ME/CFS, this is Pacing. Pacing Activity is the method of balancing all activity, meaningful and essential between sufficient periods of rest. This...
INDEPENDENCE OT
3 min read
Views
User Blogs
The majority of health care professionals do a fantastic job and they are sensitive and caring people. I know I’m one of them! I have recently come across some online debates which shocked and saddened me. One of the debates is on the following link. Be warned however, you may find this...