• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog entries by George

George
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
POTS The current definition of POTS is as follows. Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS, also postural tachycardia syndrome) is a condition of dysautonomia (Your autonomic nervous system becomes messed up and no longer sends the right signals to the rest of your body) - to...
George
2 min read
Views
User Blogs
The Flare The Flare is a word borrowed from MS symptomology and really hasn’t been used by ME/CFS doctors so much as GP’s who are confused about an illness that looks so much like MS but isn’t MS. A flare is usually defined as a returning set of symptoms that crops up periodically and...
George
4 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
PENE What it is: The term PENE didn’t exit prior to it’s début in the ICC ME publication. It is an attempt to create a very unique type of fatigue category and is being put forward as the defining symptom for ME. There are rumors that the IACFSME group is negotiation with the CDC for the...
George
4 min read
Views
Reaction score
User Blogs
Four types of Fatigue May 12th CFS/ME Awareness With a name like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome you would think that there would be a deep understanding of the different biological underpinnings leading to fatigue in the illness. However, there is very little discussion of the different types of...
George
8 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The recent paper by Christine Kozac traces the origins of the XMRV virus and she kills the contamination theory dead. She pretty much follows the MLV virus from around 8 to 12 million years ago or MYA to the present and shows how XMRV arrived in it's present form. The three things that this...
George
10 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
There has been a lot of questions about how a retroviral model would fit in to the world of ME/CFS lately. Could it be responsible in outbreak situations and could it go into remission from time to time, and what would be the mode of transmission if it does both of those? I've been laying...
George
8 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
O.k. first what do we know about epidemics or pandemics? We know that air born virus' spread very quickly. The H1N1 took 7 months to go world wide. We know that in the case of HIV it took between 60 and 70 years for it to become a pandemic. (Basically 1915 to 1975/85.) HIV is spread both...
George
7 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Let me preempt this with a caveat that I'm in over my head on this but since speculation can be fun and there is that desire to push things forward one way or another I just keep poking around in this stuff and the stuff below is what I've come up with. Take it with a grain of salt. (big grins)...