• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AMPK, Glucose uptake - Metformin and insulin

Last year, it was discovered that CFS patients have impaired activation of AMPK
“What we have been able to identify is that production of AMPK is impaired in patients with CFS compared to those without.This is an important finding because there are drugs that are currently already available that we know will modify this abnormality. The next step is to carry out experiments to see whether or not we can reverse changes in AMPK with drugs that might ultimately form the basis of clinical trials…this is an exciting step towards that holy grail of trialling medicinal products,” Professor Newton said.

CFS patients have
1. impaired activation of AMPK, and
2. impaired stimulation of glucose uptake during physical exertion.
Read study here

AMPK and mTOR - enzymes that control endurance or strength
We have two important enzyme, AMPK and mTOR for endurance for strength. Why can´t we enable both at the same time? That's because AMPK blocks the activation of mTOR. The evolution has designed us so that we can´t both improve endurance and strength at the same time.

AMPK increases glucose uptake and fat burning
When AMPK is activated increases glucose uptake in an insulin-independent manner. At the same time the burning of fatty acids to thereby restore energy balance of the cell. Activation of AMPK is therefore a potential target for increasing glucose uptake in muscle by bypassing an endogenous insulin signaling.

1. How to increase the level of AMPK?
Metformin, increases AMPK enzyme. There are a number of natural products that increase the level of AMPK, such as resveratrol, quercetin, fruits and vegetables, ginseng, curcumin, berberine and green and black tea. In addition, a variety of other supplements that claimed to raise AMPK levels.

2. How do you stimulate glucose uptake in general?
Insulin has among others functions of transferring the sugar to the cells and mitochondria. While vitamin B1 (Thiamine) plays a key role regarding glucose uptake. It has been found that insulin deficiency is also associated with thiamine deficiency in diabetics.

What about insulin?
In this study from Holland it says that 40% of Diabetes Type 1 adults have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome… OK, Diabetes can “also” be CFS, but CFS is of course not Diabetes. But some might be better of insulin and maybe vitamin B1? In the first study above, it was obviously a problem with glucose uptake. The role of the insulin may be of interest, since insulin has that function
Read study here

Read more (Swedish text)

Comments

Back in May 2015 my daughter was diagnosed with CFS. Her doctor only offered anti-depressant' s for "treatment". In an effort to help her, I bought a vitamin book for " idiot's ". We started her on basic vitamins , Vit C , magnesium, calcium, Flaxseed oil , and high doses of B-complex and Thiamine . After only one week, she had a remission, and actually felt "cured". So, I agree with the Thiamine deficiency you are reporting here . We lowered the Thiamine dose , not sure what side effects would be . She hasn't felt that good since .

I've been looking into this for the last 6 months.

I have self medicated Metformin even though I am not diabetic, with the sole purpose of re-activating the AMPK enzyme.

This isn't the answer. The theory may be quite correct but the solution requires a lot more thinking than a couple Metformin pills a day.

Blog entry information

Author
matsli
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from matsli