• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal Repair and IBS

In my last blog entry I made the connection between my increasing IBS, seasonal allergy (which was new for me) and my low cortisol levels. Note that I did a salivary test in the past which showed a high "morning response" then low the rest of the day. This was many years ago. But I know exactly what low cortisol feels like for me.

My strategy to fix started with Pantethine and Paba. My old standbys that I had written about years back. They didn't seem to be doing the job so much this time. I added sublingual Pregnenolone and a little licorice herb and a week later DHEA.

I tried to stay away from stressors but had to make a trip out of town and the driving always stresses me out. Add that to another stressful event (one day) in my marriage and any progress I made was gone. IBS was back in full force with mucus coming out 2-3 times in the morning and an urgency to go just for a little blob of mucus.

Instead of Pantethine I'm taking B5 for a while and added a little Methyl B12, morning multi minerals, Selenium and Yogi Egyptian Licorice Tea in the AM. Anyway these additions are working well and I assume it's the Tea that is the biggest contributor. In a couple of days I am feeling much better. Last night I used charcoal and it helped me sleep in this morning. I usually have a fairly toxic feeling movement waiting in the morning. The charcoal helps to deactivate the toxins so the urgency to go and the toxin seems to act like an NDMA agonist (MSG like) so it wakes me up.

Gonna stay this course and try to limit stressors as much as possible.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that I also started taking my daily "oil based" vitamins before bed which seems to have helped a lot. Vitamins A, D, E and K along with Astaxanthin.

Comments

Have you tried Siberian Ginseng? It can be helpful to the adrenal glands as it tends to sensitize the body to cortisol which means that the body needs to produce lower amounts to get the same result. That sensitization to cortisol can help the body deal with highly stressful events as small increases in cortisol have greater effect. I am type 1 diabetic and changes in blood sugar even at the edges of the normal range can cause dramatic increases in cortisol release which I notice as tension in my legs which is unpleasant which is why I stopped using it.

It does have another benefit, it switches off the alarm reaction where the body reacts to sudden shocks by a release of adrenalin which can make people jump and react. When taking SG I noticed that this was deactivated and sudden shocks did not make me react to being startled etc.

I use Licorice myself, mainly Zhi Gan Cao which is a Chinese honey fried/cooked (cannot remember exactly) version of Licorice which has a warmer energy than regular licorice.

BTW have you tried Calcium, even small amounts of calcium carbonate can work to help with the IBS? Note that it does tend to be a bit constipating which might not be what you want.

I do have some Siberian Eleuthero that I have taken in the past. I have shy'd away from herbals because most are referred to as "adaptogens" which say they can raise or lower cortisol based on whatever.. I know I need to raise mine and didn't want to risk that they might lower mine. I'm also worried about anything that might "push" the adrenals (like coffee, etc). If this meets those concerns I'd probably like to give it a try. I do like what you say about it switching off the "alarm reaction". The licorice tea I'm happy with. I may add some more calcium to my daily routine and see if that helps the IBS.

Have you noticed what folate does to your IBS? It definitely helps mine, which reduces dramatically with each increase in folate...

I did notice things seemed to get better when I was on the SMP supps. I wasn't sure why though.

I use Tu Si Zi (Dodder seed) and have been using it for about 25 years. It supports the HPA axis, the adrenal, kidney energy, pituitary, hypothalamus and helps with elevated liver enzymes. Tests show that it increases the weight of the pituitary gland improving it's function which helps me a lot as my pituitary was partly destroyed along with part of my hypothalamus.

It's a Traditional Chinese Medicine herb which tones the kidney and liver energies. This can be helpful for people with anxiety and depression as the kidney energy is usually weak and can go on to affect the adrenal function. It is only by toning the kidney energy that the nervous system and brain can heal and be restored. It's difficult to accomplish but it can be done. Relaxation can also be helpful.

I notice it a lot when I do not take it such as when I have failed to prepare some. It helps to normalize the adrenal function, lowering it when it is high and helping when it is low.

It is often taken with Gou Qi Zi (wolfberry/Goji berry). Tu Si Zi does tend to be a little constipating but Gou Qi Zi has a slight loosening effect but mainly if you eat a lot of the berries. I don't think it has such an effect when you boil the berries. I enjoy eating the berries and have eaten piles of them which did loosen my bowel. However being diabetic I cannot really eat them because they raise my blood sugar so sharply. They are one of those things which seem right and beneficial, it's a pity that they are so high in carbs.

Tu Si Zi I would recommend with or without Goji berries. Worth a try. It's about 15 grams a day and I boil about 54 grams at a time which lasts about 3.5 days with two cups per day. 3 cups a day would probably be better still 15 grams a day as that would be about every 8 hours.

The pituitary gland is usually affected to some degree in CFS/FM along with the hypothalamus. I would highly recommend it.

Blog entry information

Author
sregan
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from sregan