• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Place Where More Things Don't Happen than Do

October 20th, 2021

Okay then, I just re-read what I wrote here and it's not super-positive sounding - still, be unconcerned. Sometimes these words come from a more emotional place

Incommunicado

Kind of a nothing day. Someone (I think it was the Physician's Assistant) came in to ask about the pain and right side gut discomfort I've been experiencing for the past several days (she merely pointed at that area, so I'll have to assume that's what she was inquiring about). I couldn't specifically hear what she was saying (too loud in here), but she may have said something about my UA results, before wandering off.

Maybe I'm Going to Dry

UPDATE 917AM: new bags arrive!!!

Tomorrow (today), I'll be down to my final formula feeding bag.. which is troubling. I tried calling the supply desk here directly, but they didn't pick up the phone. I honestly have no idea if they've even ordered the bags, much less, the correct ones (if they did).

You see, my formula bags need to be cleaned at least once every 12-hours and replaced once every 24-hours. The reason? Bacterial growth.

If need be, I can survive on straight water (by continuously using tomorrow's bag without formula - won't generate bacterial growth). It's not ideal going without nourishment, but I've got some bodily weight to work with for now.

Or if they aren't IV friendly here (and I'd rather they didn't do that here), they can transport me over to the hospital, so that I can be fed that way (via a TPN line). At least, I think that's an option. Plus the nurses there are familiar and more friendly (males and females equally), so I can up my socialization game while there.

Bush Trimming

Yes, you guessed it… the landscapers trimmed the big bush outside our window. Now I can see a small sliver of sky whenever my dividing curtain is pulled back a fair amount. I can also see Jeff's pale white toes idly twitching. Hmmm… his toenails are far shorter than mine. Should I be jealous? For me, it's been seven months without a toenail trim. Howard Scissor Toes? Maybe?

It's sometimes difficult to hire good help these days.

Sky Report

Today I witnessed a jet leaving a fast retreating contrail behind. Then later, there seemed to be a twin turboprop angling into Deer Valley Airport. Otherwise, hogh ceilings, with scattered Cirrus, with no real wind to speak of.

My Name is Michael Westin

At least he's been watching the good stuff (loudly) today:

"Burn Notice"

It's a cleverly done TV spy series set in Miami, Florida. The lead character is a former spy who has been burned (but not for real… something happened wherein he's no longer a legal card-carrying spy anymore, and being "burned" means he can't be a spy anymore because he's been "burned"). Being burned makes him sad. And angry.

Meanwhile, other unemployed spy friends desperately want to clear his name (no idea why), but it takes all of seven years and 97 episodes to ….

Okay I do not want to ruin it for you.

8 stars out of 5
Highly Recommended!!!

No Contact

No socialization today. And not much ever. I attempt to engage. I do. And it's all about them, when I do. My focus. My asking. It really it is. But there's nothing doing. No one takes the bait.

In every other hospital situation or setting (including home healthcare visits), I've been able to connect. Immediately. With many and most. But here, nobody has the slightest amount of interest or conversational acuity (besides the Psychiatrists, The Therapy Goddess, and the Assistant Coordinator of Nursing).

Well, right, and of course. There's them.

Perhaps the staff senses my underlying depression, or the sadness that is permeating my soul. Or the earmuffs, bandanas, and earplugs I often model frighten them down to the core ...of a rotten apple ..full of seeds containing high levels of arsenic.

Leading into this whole thing, it appears as though I let my expectations get out ahead of me. I am simply a disabled resident, powerless in a place full of powerless people.

We wait. That's what we do.

Speaking of Expectations ..

Sometimes when you know somebody, you send them a text message or an email and they respond. If they do not respond after several attempts over time, you assume something is up. They are either dead, or they no longer wish to associate with you.

But what does it mean when you send someone text messages or emails (and they respond in kind), but they in turn NEVER initiate contact? They never send you a text message or an email to see how you are doing, or even to tell you a story about something that's happened while waiting in line at the grocery store.

And even though they do respond, each response is brief and to the point, no extraneous details. And the conversation ends abruptly.

Yeah, I think I know what this means. And if I were still a real person, I'd have given up on this person (or these people) long ago.

It's Not Over

It may seem as though I am forever lying still (I am), but as soon as I see a doctor here, I am going to really push hard for the muscle biopsy option.

Sleep Initiated: 0113

Another Covid swab. Good morning to me. And within twelve seconds of waking, Jeff fires up the Barnyard Animals Video Game. Quietly, at least.

Take my vitals, please.

Eyes closed, my heavy pillow covers my head, in attempts to annihilate the offending light. Dear Jeff, why are the lights on? There's nothing to see here.

Dammit Jeff, why do we need all the freakin' lights on at this godforsaken hour? Don't you know there's a lightbulb shortage in Omaha? Okay, usually I am up by now… so I must be crabby.

I give up. Put sunglasses on. Finish up blog entry. Entrée. Eat this up. Chin wipe drool dribble drone fan backdrop voices alarms intermittently ringing out beep beep long tones high pitched wailing and the staff goes door to door distributing meal trays, dropping them like bombs from on an alternative plane of existence where they let "them" die, let "them" all perish, and me along with them, as we are no longer able to care for ourselves either way. It's unsettling how this ends for so many. Uncelebrated. Unaccomplished. Unrecognized. Unattended.

At least I know how to ease my suffering. I know where my mind needs to be. I am advantaged in that way.

doom laden scenarios weigh heavy
choose butterfly blight instead

Transmogrification
Gentrification

Be kind to yourself today. Imagine that you are healing (why? ..because you are!). Visualize it. What does healing look like? See yourself in that near future reality. Accept that you are getting better.

H

Comments

my apologies for going on. Don't feel you need to play ping to my ponging.

Or, tell me to blather on in the other thread.

Maybe I should go chat about Carpet man on the Writing Thread. which needs dusting off.
@Rufous McKinney, you're a captivating writer too, and I love when you "blather on." You both, you and @Howard write with such wittiness, and I enjoy your humor and non-humor, of course.

@Rufous....It seems that everything in a hospital is disruptive, even if you're in a private room. Blood draws are especially bad b/c there can be as many as 10/day at all different times, whether you're asleep or not. It's also a guarantee that you won't be going back to sleep anytime soon...usually you weren't anyway.

The computer in the room adds to this mess. Invariably the screens are left up and part of the room is bathed in a horrible white light. I finally figured out where it was coming from and asked them to shut the monstrous lids on them.

Some people are unconscious b/c of comas and are very loud, others can't sleep and have the two bright lights over their heads on, and there is always someone who feels the need to play high-pitched music at some point. I hate that "lights off" is at 10:00 p.m., far too early as their world goes on for much longer than that. Everything is either early or late. One adjusts b/c you can't get out.

Rooms in newer hospitals are smaller than ever and are more like prison cells than rooms....at least for old people. Yours, Lenorra.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard