• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Which one to take? MitoQ, CoQ10, C-60, none of these?

Mick

So, I have this mind-boggling problem...

I tried CoQ10 a few times over the years and it didn't work - the dose was too low, the absorption not sufficient.
Then two years ago I got myself mitoQ - it only improved my mental condition and increased my body temperature but it did not improve the overall fatigue. Then about a month ago I decided to try CoQ10 again at a higher dose - I was quite despaired and I told myself that I have to review all the supplements that I took and I finally came across an information that the dose has to be higher and the form has to be absorbable. Which is silly because I read about that many times but it didn't resonate with me. And then it worked like a charm (though with a few minor problems and setbacks).

So, I'm getting better. Now the question is: if you got yourself supplemented with CoQ10 - will mitoQ still work for you?
Maybe mitoQ works simply because you were deficient in CoQ10 in the first place? And these two do not have the same function as mitoQ does not take part in the respiratory function (I found a paper stating that but don't remember the title).

I can't find any paper comparing the effectiveness of supplementation with CoQ10 and mitoQ. So it looks like a marketing strategy... hide inconvenient facts and you're all set up...

One might assume and I also assume that if CoQ10 is taken then mitoQ will not be so effective and it doesn't make that much sense to take it, especially that it's terribly expensive. Then again - when taken in combo they may have a synergistic effect.

Actually I don't need this anti-fatique effect of mitoQ but rather anti-inflammatory effect that it is supposed to have.

So now enter C-60 carbon.
It is supposed to decrease inflammation - at least that's what people claim. The good and cheap brand is much cheaper than mitoQ so that's another plus. But is it as effective or maybe even more effective than mitoQ?

That's the question.
So, I'd like to hear from people who took all of these three antioxidants (as well as other people, any advice is welcome).

Or maybe it's simply better not to take any of these antioxidants because it feels like CoQ10 makes me very hot and increases my metabolism rate and that leads straight to increased inflammation in my joints/tendons/muscles. Maybe it's better to concentrate on healing the gut which is the culprit here and though I've tried many different things, it's just always not enough, something eludes me. Maybe CoQ10 that I take will improve healing of my gut eventually?

Also - there is still this unresolved problem with C-60's long-term safety. Any new info about that? I can't find anything relevant, though I tried.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I'd avoid the C-60, it's just a high dose anti-oxidant and those raise your cancer risk
The form of CoQ10 depends on your age. Adults should only take ubiquinol because they can't convert CoQ10 to ubiquinol.
Shaljit is a great supplement because it allows the body to extend the life of ubiquinol so you need less of it which is more economical.

junkcrap50

C-60 is too risky to take, I believe. It's hard to find valid sources. And any broken carbon nanotubes are very toxic and carcinogenic.