• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Were you a twin in utero?

Were you a twin in utero?

• No

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Yes, but twin died

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes, and my twin lived at least to birth

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Strawberry

Sorry I don’t have time to properly link etc but in another thread I learned about chimerism. I was a twin early pregnancy but I ate my twin. It could be the cause of my autoimmunity.

How many of you were twins? Or are one? I learned this morning of twins that apparently was triples and one died, so if you have a living twin please also respond.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I just wonder how chimerism would account for families with multiple members who have autoimmune issues...like my older sister and I both do.

I mean, I have heard of women who have multiple sets of twins but I think that is pretty rare, isn't it?

Strawberry

I definitely can’t and won’t say it accounts for all autoimmunity or ME/CFS! I’m just hoping to find a general count.

For that matter, my best friends oldest child was a twin early pregnancy (like I was) but was born single child after a scary miscarriage where one fetus lived. She also miscarried one pregnancy that was twins verified after miscarriage. So there will be some people this resonates with, but not many. Twins typically are genetic, but I don’t know scientific percentages. I also am asking in relation to my best friends oldest child that while she is an adult in her 20s, does not show autoimmunity yet. My best friend has stronger twin genetics than I do... my daughter has low twin genetics, but she knows she has the genes as my twin line is every other generation. So this relates to my own daughter.

Also, I do intend to post investigational science, so anyone on the fence is welcome to wait to vote. I literately am just finding out some about this today thanks to @ScottTriGuy so please be patient with me and posting scientific stuff.

Please bare with me during this investigation phase! I’m super curious! I’m also super ignorant! This knowledge is just beginning...