• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vit. D causing allergies to flareup

thats interesting , how to treat it?
i am not sure but to some flowers i react very harshly allergically. could be tulips.
Done some reading on A. Fumigatus, it seems that treatment options are: itraconazole for most strands and terbinafine which is effective on all strands. Fluconazole is not effective as A. Fumigatus has developed resistance to it.

I would like to know what you found out about your SNPs because my husband has been getting flares of severe respiratory issues from taking vit D (even penumonia) along the past 8 years (I must add he does have liver issues from both specific SNPs and previous infections). He is +/- for 3 vit A SNPs:

BCMO1 rs4889294 CT +/- risk allele C
BCMO1 R267S rs12934922 AT +/- risk allele T
BCMO1 A379V rs7501331 CT risk allele T

I could not find rs7501331 in my Nebula Genomics vcf file, but the other 2 are the same as you presented:
Code:
# rsid    chromosome    position    genotype
rs4889294    16    81270154    TC
rs12934922    16    81268089    AT

might need retinol and balance.
vitamin A / D and zink and selen and C work in concert.
I'm still not sure how cofactors would help me since I've already enough active vitamin D. Cofactors only seem to amplify my problems(headaches, sneezing, nose dripping etc). I found a supplement with "retinol acetate", but I'm reluctant to try it as I'm afraid of it will further amplify my allergies. Do you have a good source where I can read up on the link between vitamin D and A ?

Also:
- Buffered Vitamin C, which I've have tried recently, leads to diarrhea in my case
- Zinc has been useful: it helps with the diarrhea and solves pain in my right side of abdomen(don't know if it is related to the liver or something else)
- Selenium leads to headaches now: I am not deficient in Selenium, I have done a related blood test and supplementing with more of it is detrimental in my case

Last edited:

linusbert

I'm still not sure how cofactors would help me since I've already enough active vitamin D.
yes, but cofactors are not alone to activate something, its also when you got it active that in those pathways its involved which needs cofactors too.
your active vitamin D does something, and there fore it needs something. in end everything is a cofactor for something. thats what makes it so frustrating because literally anything could be missing.
but i guess if they are not helping something else is the problem.

I found a supplement with "retinol acetate", but I'm reluctant to try it as I'm afraid of it will further amplify my allergies.
do they stay worse or do they recover when you stop the trigger. if they revert, try.

Buffered Vitamin C, which I've have tried recently, leads to diarrhea in my case
damn, what did you try?
- Zinc has been useful: it helps with the diarrhea and solves pain in my right side of abdomen(don't know if it is related to the liver or something else)
right side below rip cage can be liver, stomach, guts, pancreas and gall bladder.

do they stay worse or do they recover when you stop the trigger. if they revert, try.
They usually subside in a few days, the only one that had a longer lasting effect was the probiotic I mentioned.

damn, what did you try?
I've tried sodium ascorbate. I bought 675mg capsules from which I removed most of the contents: even 100mg was too much for my stomach.

right side below rip cage can be liver, stomach, guts, pancreas and gall bladder.
I have had several eco's on my abdomen and doctors could not find the source of the pain. If I didn't discover Zinc helps with the pain, I would have been a lot more miserable than I am right now. It's small findings like this that give me hope to keep going(I have tried probably more than 100 types of supplements/vitamins and the amount of time and money involved is considerable)

Thank you for the links. I am considering testing also my Vitamin A status, just to know for sure if this is an issue for me.

Last edited:

linusbert

I've tried sodium ascorbate. I bought 675mg capsules from which I removed most of the contents: even 100mg was too much for my stomach.
the product i meant.
I have had several eco's on my abdomen and doctors could not find the source of the pain. If I didn't discover Zinc helps with the pain, I would have been a lot more miserable than I am right now.
glad you found something which works for you.

the product i meant.
The product is called "Parapharm Alkalin C 600", it's marketed as Sodium l-Ascorbate 675mg(of which Ascorbate is 600mg). Other ingredients are: Maltodextrin, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, glycerin from vegetable sources, purified water. They say capsules are from vegetable source.

linusbert

The product is called "Parapharm Alkalin C 600", it's marketed as Sodium l-Ascorbate 675mg(of which Ascorbate is 600mg). Other ingredients are: Maltodextrin, Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose, glycerin from vegetable sources, purified water. They say capsules are from vegetable source.
the ingredients read like garbage, i get diarrhea from glycerin. also maltodextrin is known to cause gastro intestinal problems for sensitive people. my guess, 99% you are reacting to those and not the C.
also why is even water in it... makes no sense for me.

just get plain sodium ascorbate powder, like this https://www.iherb.com/pr/nutribiotic-immunity-sodium-ascorbate-crystalline-powder-8-oz-227-g/70643 (thats the one i tolerate)

pick it out with something non metallic like a plastic spoon which isnt statically charged and put right into your mouth, let it solve with your saliva and gulp down. should taste like sodium and a little bitter, but not metallic. if it tastes metallic its probably oxidized.

Violeta

@cristi_b, Vitamin K2 might help you be able to tolerate Vitamin D. Also, K2 can stop mast cell activation,(allergic reaction), similar to the way quercetin stops it... by stopping the entry of Ca+ into the cell. You would probably need a good size dose at first.

I actually think the link that Marshall missed was K2.