• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virtual Work

JaimeS

Yeah, Theresa, but Upwork won't let you see reviews of employers. Imo, this is an absolute disaster in the making. I've only had one really bad experience, but it was enough to teach me to read the reviews employers give other Elancers carefully. If I had, I never would have worked for that crazy dude, who wrote of another woman who'd worked for him that at least she was pretty, since she had no "other" skills. That's the type of client you want to avoid!

I'm not sure what I'll do when Elance transfers over to Upwork completely: probably cancel my membership.

Finally, Upwork's customer service reps are always gems: when I complained about this, they responded that my primary motivation was to get paid, which Upwork guarantees, and I didn't need to know more about the employer.

I thought it was hysterical and very weird that they were saying they knew what I wanted and needed better than I knew it myself! That takes some real arrogance.

My guess is that the talent pool is going to flee Upwork, but there will always be desperate grad students...

-J

Oh dear, sorry about your horrible experience. I've never used it myself but my brother mentioned it to me last week as his company employs a couple of IT guys now and again from there. I was thinking of quitting my part time work as can't cope any more and doing some freelance IT work, maybe I'll stick to where I am!

Hope you have better luck with future work wherever it may be :)

JaimeS

Elance was fine, but it seems like the reformatting of Upwork allows unsavory employers to hide their poor reviews. In the words of Star Wars, "it's a trap!" They know they make more money off of employers than workers, so they know who they have to keep happy... search around for reviews of Upwork from freelancers.