• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex dosage

Hey guys,
I´ve got the me/cfs diagnosis with possible ebv-activation. So I started Valtrex 4 days ago. The first two days I only took 250 mg (cut a pill in a half) and didn´t feel any side effects so far.
Yesterday I increased it to 500 mg. After that I feel dizziness for 2 hours, but it was ok. Then I´ve got incredible tired. So tired, that it hurts, but despite of I can´t sleep.
Therefore I have no idea what I should do now. I can´t go through this every day.
Originally I wanted to increase the dosage to 3000 mg (according to the study´s from Dr.Lerner 4x750 mg for my body weight), but this seems to be unpossible..
So I thougt 1500 mg per day is ok..But if I do not even can take 500 mg once, how should that work?
Can I only take 250 mg in the morning and again 250 in the evening with any effect? Or three times 250 mg? Or is this complete pointless?
Or should I try it with a generic or famvir?

best regards

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@mirijam When I started on an antiviral, I upped the dose maybe every 5 days. I started very low dose, 1/2 a pill and let that settle. When I felt ok I'd go up another half tablet, sometimes 4 days later. I'd wait until I felt good. If it took a week I'd wait. And so on until I was at the dose. I had to start and stop Famvir several times because I went to fast and I was in a lot of pain. There is no rush to get on it all at one time IMO.

I can't tell you what to do but I think you are going much to fast. Even if you take a generic or Famvir you may have the same problem. So see how this works.

Thank u for your response :)
This is a good idea, I will increase it more slowly now..500 mg at once was definately too much. I felt so incredible horrible later, never want to go through this again..
I try to take 250 mg for a few weeks now and if I´m fine and not getting this feeling again, I will increase it :)
I am glad to hear, that this is possible..Don´t want to stop the valtrex therapy, because I felt a little improve already at the first day. That´s crazy.
How high can u go with famvir? Is there any point u have to stop?

And do u think that a herxheimer reaction could be possible at just 500 mg? It doesn´t felt like the typical side effects, I just felt really bad in strange way..I can´t even describe it

ukxmrv

I wonder if it is possible to get the virus "riled up" and then for the dosage not to be high enough to fight it?

Had a strange reaction to Valtrex myself in that I felt better on 500mg x 2 if taken at the SAME TIME each day than I did on 500mg x 1 or 500mg x 2 taken at different times.