• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urolithin A effects particularly in MCAS and cci

Hi everyone,
I have mitochondrial dysnfunction as well mcas, cci, ijv compression, Lyme and severe dysautonomia. Urolithin A was recommended to me for mitochondrial issues, and I saw a paper saying it also boosts collagen production and a posts here or there saying it seemed to help floxed patients (I did take levaquin shortly before a great worsening of my issues).

But I also read it boosts memory T cells, which has me wondering if it'll make my mcas issues worse. I'm down to 2 foods I can eat every day. There are a couple others I can eat that break my biofilm so I can only eat them on days with antibiotics. So I guess my question is has anyone/how many of you with mcas issues have taken Urolithin A, and did it affect your mcas issues for better or worse? Also have any of you found it to help with dysautonomia, cci, energy, or infections.

Thanks!

godlovesatrier

Haven't heard of anyone being able to get it, haven't seen anyone taking it either.
Your gut will produce it just fine tho on its own if it's able to. But you need to eat the right foods. Fresh pomegrenate is probably the main one. I think one in 3 people are able to produce urolithin A.

If you've seen it commercially available are you able to post a link for others?

When I take life extension pomegrenate extract 1000mg after a few days I get a huge boost in energy, due to I assume the increased mitophagy but it could even be the urolithin. However the effects diminish when I stop taking it. However it could be that it is producing urolithin a as well, not sure which bit of the biochemical process for pomegrenate causes mitophagy to increase:

https://longevity.technology/lifest...rolithin-a-better-than-consuming-pomegranate/

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37400-1

Mitochondrial dysfunction underscores aging and diseases. Mitophagy (mitochondria + autophagy) is a quality control pathway that preserves mitochondrial health by targeting damaged mitochondria for autophagic degradation. Hence, molecules or compounds that can augment mitophagy are therapeutic candidates to mitigate mitochondrial-related diseases.
Upon onset of mitochondrial stress, PE further augments mitophagosome formation, and engages PINK1 and Parkin to the mitochondria to potentiate mitophagy. This cellular phenomenon of PE-induced mitophagy helps to negate superfluous mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and mitochondrial impairment.

I feel so good on this stuff that my muscles just work normally, therefore I am reasonably confident it's a mitophagy/mito effect. As q10 works similairly if I take solgar q10 at doses of 2g, but that also causes headaches and can cause other side effects. Whereas the pomegrenate doesn't and it's better for my gut health. I did take pomegrneate 1000mg a day for awhile and didn't notice any major effects on akkermansia bacteria which from memory produce urolithin A.

Urolithin A (UA) is produced by gut microflora from foods rich in ellagitannins. UA has been shown to improve mitochondrial health preclinically and in humans. Not everyone has a microbiome capable of producing UA, making supplementation with UA an appealing strategy.

I've been taking 400 to 600mg egcg for about 2 years and I can't say it's helped my allergies or anything like that. But egcg is important for it's antimicrobial properties in the gut.

LINE

The studies seem to indicate that Urolithin A is an important metabolite I am not sure how much is bioavailable through supplements. As @godlovesatrier mentioned, pomegranate directly or indirectly aids in its production. I would stay away from pomegranate juice due to the high sugar content (sugar will stimulate more inflammation). I bought a supplement form of it which has concentrated pomegranate in it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34030963/

I would consider glutathione depletion in the MCAS problem.

Last edited:
You can get Urolithin A from mitopure. I purchased mine off Amazon.

Urolithin a on amazon Mitopure Urolithin A Supplement - First Clinically Tested Highly Pure Urolithin A - Healthy Aging - Energy Supplements Alternative to NMN, NAD, CoQ10, Resveratrol, PQQ - 28 Capsules https://a.co/d/gM4rgI9

The only foods I can eat regularly are grass fed beef and Napa cabbage.

I used to do a lot of glutathione stuff including infusions, but even I got an allergic reaction to the infusions and stopped.

My gut bacteria will always be in trouble because I'm on antibiotics constantly. I relapse within 48 hrs if I'm not and become basically non functional if my Lyme and coinfections aren't treated.

I take tons of probiotics.

They are thinking my mcas can be because of craniocervical instability and/or my left jugular is compressed.

I haven't taken Urolithin a yet. Won't for probably a week because of scheduling. Will do my best to post results here

So I tried a tiny amount of Urolithin A. It seemed to decrease brain inflammation but then drop my already just barely ok blood pressure to scary lows. Luckily it seemed to wear off after 24ish hours (probably due to half life).