• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unable to eat before 7 pm

Hi, a fellow ME sufferer can’t eat before 7 pm without having severe diarrhea. Would could possibly cause such an odd reaction based on time of day?

MCAS maybe (Mast cells have a circadian rythm)
Also severe Diarrea. Consider treating the gut for SIBO, SIFO, leaky Gut or parasites. All of this can severely worsen CFS or even be a crucial element of it

Wolfcub

Hi, a fellow ME sufferer can’t eat before 7 pm without having severe diarrhea. Would could possibly cause such an odd reaction based on time of day?
I don't have the same issue as you have, but if I am having a bad day, feeling unwell, it is more likely to happen during the first eight hours or so of the day.
Often when evening comes things settle down. I can sometimes feel quite well in the late evening.
I love lying down to go to sleep. I love my bed at night. But there is always a part of me that dreads the morning/next day. I often wish I could just hang in the way I feel during the late evening.

What influences that? I haven't a clue. I have often wondered if it's related to serotonin/melatonin. That actually I do better when the melatonin starts, and rough in daytime (serotonin)?? I don't know.

I also can have a slightly upset lower gut some mornings, though not all. It seems to be linked to migraine symptoms with me.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm wondering if it could be hormonal. Either male/female hormones or adrenaline. Perhaps they are too high or too low at that time of day and your intestines are reacting to that. I mean, women for instance, have morning sickness. (Although, I've heard of some who where nauseated all day long.)

Edit: The other thing I was going to ask is if you have kept a food diary. I wonder if you are eating something before bed (dairy maybe) that is causing the problem the next day. I'm really not sure how motility works, i.e. does it slow down at night, so that the triggering substance has more time to irritate. ???

I love lying down to go to sleep. I love my bed at night. But there is always a part of me that dreads the morning/next day. I often wish I could just hang in the way I feel during the late evening.

Ah, @Wolfcub, I think you've spoken thoughts I didn't know I was having. I always put off going to bed. I can feel myself resisting it and procrastinating and that may be why. Like so many here there are times I feel almost well in the latter part of my day. Not energetic but not horrible like in the first part of the day either. Thank you!!

Last edited: