• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK-only petition hits 10,000 target & still rising - government must now respond! Still time to sign

Hilary

Y
I think this petition, a few others recently and the demonstrations etc. really show that patients and their supporters have begun to believe that we can be heard, that we can make change happen. It is worth signing these petitions, worth demonstrating, writing letters, etc. That is such an essential step that we have made. We must keep taking opportunities.
yes I think that's absolutely right- does feel like a bit of a snowball effect. I hadn't twigged that closing date is July 13th:(

Sasha

Fine, thank you
will it go to the same people, who told the lyme people, to piss off a few days ago?

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/uk-gov-response-to-lyme-testing-petition.44805/

Who knows, but from my point of view, the point of a big petition like this is to tell the govt that people are watching and making reasonable demands. The CMRC will be putting in a big grant proposal later this year for the Grand Challenge, which will be hugely expensive, and it will help the govt remember that 10,000 people signed this petition - and we can keep reminding them! :)

daisybell

I received a reply about this today as follows:

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Invest more money into scientific research to find the cause of M.E./CFS”.

Government responded:

The Government supports research into CFS/ME through the MRC and the NIHR. High quality research applications are welcomed at any time.

The Government supports research into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) through the Medical Research Council (MRC), which receives funding from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills; and through the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), which is funded by the Department of Health. Together the MRC and NIHR welcome high quality applications for research into all aspects of CFS/ME. These would include studies to investigate the biological causes of the condition, improve our understanding of the condition and the complex and diverse range of symptoms experienced, and evaluate treatments.

Research proposals in all areas compete for the funding available with awards made according to their scientific quality and importance to human health.

Research into CFS/ME is a current priority area for the MRC. It received very few high-quality proposals in the area it has implemented a number of initiatives to stimulate more research in this important area and to increase research capacity by bringing new researchers into the field and supporting multidisciplinary teams to tackle research challenges and build partnerships. A highlight notice which outlines research priorities identified by the research community, and where applications are encouraged, is currently in place and can be found on its website at: http://www.mrc.ac.uk/funding/how-we-fund-research/highlight-notices/cfsme-highight-notice/

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/118175?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

The Highlight notice is good. I don't know what date it is from though.... @charles shepherd do you know if this is a new notice?