• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

tension headache

I have had cfs for 2 years now.
Since 2 weeks, I am experiencing constant tension headaches.
It is a mild to moderate pain at the front of your head that lasts all day.
No medications help at all and it is becoming unbearable.
Has anyone experienced this and do you know what might help?

Mrs Sowester

I had this for the first couple of years, now only when I go out or do too much. I find alternating paracetamol and ibuprofen helps. Gentle osteopathy is good too.
I think what got rid of them was learning to pace my activity better. My OT made me keep an activity diary so I could work out how my daily activities related to my symptom flare ups. One habit I've stopped altogether is doing as much as I can during my good 2 hours a day. She also made me stop multi tasking - no having the TV or radio on at the same time as the laptop!

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
What Mrs S said, absolutely. I have headaches that last for days, and nothing really helps except pacing - resting for a day or two or 3 until it eases off, then not overdoing it again. Ibuprofen doesn't work any more for me, I'm using Thomapyrin at the moment which is a combination of different painkillers I think. I have fewer headaches when I establish really strict pacing rules (mostly along the lines of "if I've done X this morning or afternoon, then stay home doing nothing until tomorrow afternoon") and sticking to them.