• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Talking on the phone

Dysfunkion

I wanted to ask about this one for a long time, it's not specifically about PEM crashes from talking on the phone but more general issues speaking on the phone in general. Does anyone else with speech issues get worse when speaking over the phone? I had to make a call today about an appointment and I always dread doing so because inevitably whenever I'm on the phone my speech goes out the window and I completely embarrass myself. Thus far no one has been able to entirely relate to this bizarre element of my case. I suddenly struggle to string together sentences well, forget things way more often, lose control of the tone of my voice to an extent, and in general it suddenly just feels like it's the first time I spoke to anyone in my life. I recently had one of those horrible one way interviews for a job that I completely bombed because this exact thing was even worse. Whenever it happens it feels somewhat like the frontal area of my brain is short circuiting and the way information is processed gets all messed up. Also from this realized that in the future I'm going to need to request accommodation for an in person interview.

I have to roughly plan what I want to say during a telephone call, and make notes as a prompt. I frequently forget points. I also have to use this technique for social calls.

This works reasonably well for me if the call is short eg. if I’m phoning to make an appointment. However, it would be more difficult if flexibility of thought were required - such as during a job interview.

I find that talking on the telephone rapidly wears me out, and causes my voice to become very croaky.

It’s a positive that you have realised that you need to ask for accommodation, Dysfunkion.

hapl808

Yep, all of that. Which is strange because I absolutely love talking on the phone. But I have to be very careful because I get overstimulated, start to have trouble following things, my voice will start to go like I have laryngitis, etc.

In-person is still far worse for me, but even talking on the phone causes all kinds of symptoms and spikes my heart rate, adrenaline, etc. These aren't stressful phone calls - usually a nice catch-up with a friend. No idea why or how to fix it.

hapl808

I've tried cell phone with wired headset and even a hard wired computer with a wired headset. While wifi itself does seem to make my symptoms worse (I leave wifi off and get fewer migraines), in this case it seems to be the talking or concentrating that does it. I keep trying to find a method that doesn't crash me, but I've never been successful.

Working on the computer does the same thing, so it seems more related to cognitive exertion for me.

Artemisia

I've tried cell phone with wired headset and even a hard wired computer with a wired headset. While wifi itself does seem to make my symptoms worse (I leave wifi off and get fewer migraines), in this case it seems to be the talking or concentrating that does it. I keep trying to find a method that doesn't crash me, but I've never been successful.

Working on the computer does the same thing, so it seems more related to cognitive exertion for me.
Do you notice a difference between a conversation on a hard wired computer (like via skype), and a conversation on a cell phone? Or do they equally fatigue you? I think that's what you're saying but want to be sure.

I get exhausted talking to anyone but it seems like talking on a ethernet-wired computer is better than a cell phone for me.

Last edited:

hapl808

Do you notice a difference between a conversation on a hard wired computer (like via skype), and a conversation on a cell phone? Or do they equally fatigue you? I think that's what you're saying but want to be sure.

I didn't notice any difference between audio calls on both, but it's hard to say because it's not like symptoms are identical every day.

One clear difference in another area - when I tried a videochat on a hard wired computer, the crash was truly awful. Videochat seems to be much worse for me (which is a shame because I like them).

Dysfunkion

I have to roughly plan what I want to say during a telephone call, and make notes as a prompt. I frequently forget points. I also have to use this technique for social calls.

This works reasonably well for me if the call is short eg. if I’m phoning to make an appointment. However, it would be more difficult if flexibility of thought were required - such as during a job interview.

I find that talking on the telephone rapidly wears me out, and causes my voice to become very croaky.

It’s a positive that you have realised that you need to ask for accommodation, Dysfunkion.

I need to start doing that clearly, can't really do that when a family member checks in every day but with them it's somewhat easier because I don't need to do anything extremely specific but I still lose control of my vocal tone and have problems with stringing together sentences a bit and at worst can draw embarrassing blanks.

I hate talking on the phone too. It does seem more stressful than in-person talking.

Well in general I don't like talking on the phone but it's not stress, something is going wrong with the way my brain is processing the sensory information that is causing the problem. I'm not actually anxious or stressed when making one, it's like an isolated cognitive dysfunction specific to the act of doing so.

Yep, all of that. Which is strange because I absolutely love talking on the phone. But I have to be very careful because I get overstimulated, start to have trouble following things, my voice will start to go like I have laryngitis, etc.

In-person is still far worse for me, but even talking on the phone causes all kinds of symptoms and spikes my heart rate, adrenaline, etc. These aren't stressful phone calls - usually a nice catch-up with a friend. No idea why or how to fix it.

I also get trouble following the other person too, the social timing goes completely off the rails and everything gets really awkward. My voice loses fluidity and gets more inflexible in how I can use it. I hate hearing recordings of myself when it's doing that thing, I sound so stupid..

In person this can happen to and the reason why I say that I think it's something to due with the way my brain is routing sensory information is that it only happens in certain sensory contexts. Like at work where I'm not in a comfortable position all the time because the environment forces me to process a lot of different things at once and I'm also having low grade immune reactions resulting in my neuropathy flaring a bit in my face. When it happens in person I know there's some major element of spatial perception because when this happens my perception of my own body in the space around me feels off. Like I'm somehow not standing correctly, my head is just a little bit bigger than it should be, or my arms and legs are extra long. This goes way back with me though and it's one those things that has gotten worse as I got older. It's not always present though, seems to be triggered by certain sensory conditions.

Like for example with in person interaction this will also happen if I just experienced a rapid shift in temperature and my body hasn't adapted to it properly. It's actually a big reason why for example when it starts getting hot in order to retain functioning socially I need to actually spend more time outside in the heat until my body gets used to it in very light clothing away from other sensory stimulation and people. After I do that I need to retain that body temperature and the next days need to be around that temperature and then I'm stable again when dealing with other sensory information and social functioning.

I get exhausted talking to anyone but it seems like talking on a ethernet-wired computer is better than a cell phone for me.

It could be a element of it, I if I talk way too long on the phone feel face get hotter and I get more brain foggy but single line wireless signals that aren't bluetooth or wifi aren't as bad for me as long as I generally keep them away from body when I'm not using it. My computer is ethernet only because every time I connect anything to wifi I get sick. On computters and wifi, if the motherboard has a wifi adapter does that mean it is always transmitting a signal looking for a connection or is it off unless actually looking for something to connect to? It's getting harder and harder these days to find a motherboard without a wifi adapter.

I get very sick from microphones though which also causes the same vocal and cognitive effects I'm talking about itself so there are multiple ways to get here with me. I've actually even tried to stream games before and because of the microphome induced EMF sickness I couldn't even do that. I am so sick of dealing with this nonsense.

Seadragon

This is exactly what happens to me along with complete exhaustion afterwards, both mental and physical.

Marylib

Talking on the phone is horrible. Even more horrible than having a conversation off the phone.

Nothing helps me with this either. It's very isolating.
Yeah, wish I could figure out something to improve this.

I don't consider myself to have ME/CFS, so what I say may not apply to some, but I have many related conditions IMO (and think that there is overlap in what ME/CFS people have).

In case anyone is interested, Citicholine, Ubiquinol, decaf green tea (in a pill form or actual tea), and Acetyl-L-Carnitine each help me some. As well as generally having B vitamins, better than average sleep, some other energy related supplements, etc.

Without any of them, I have cognitive issues where my brain feels overloaded, plus energy issues with speaking more than about 1 sentence or a half sentence.

I also personally find that sometimes if I'm having more PEM then I need 3 or more supplements together, and other times when I am better, just 1 or 2 works pretty well. When I have really bad PEM, then even taking 4 or more supplements might not work the same, like they would still improve me but not by nearly as much. Therefore I think that someone with ME/CFS might only get smaller improvements, however, I would speculate that if they can take these things, they might crash less after too.

On the other hand, I think that most supplements that improve my energy, cognition, sociability also sort of require resting after. But I consider it less like a crash and more normal.

hapl808

In case anyone is interested, Citicholine, Ubiquinol, decaf green tea (in a pill form or actual tea), and Acetyl-L-Carnitine each help me some. As well as generally having B vitamins, better than average sleep, some other energy related supplements, etc.

Those things helped me when I was more mild. Now, I've regularly trialed Citicoline, Ubiquinone or Ubiquinol, green tea (usually actual tea - sencha or matcha), ALCAR, methyl B vitamins, SAM-e, NADH, taurine, rhodiola, and on and on and on. Some give minimal benefits, but often bad side effects as well. If I get more energy, then I'll also get worse tachycardia. Something else might improve my HR but worsen brain fog.

I've found very little that helps these days.