• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rat fleeing sinking ship (Peter White retiring from Barts/HMS PACE)

Tally

An example of this is the reaction to Ron Davis' interview with the bbc. Assumptions were made about the intention behind the interview.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rview-with-ron-davis.51891/page-6#post-858559

Just in case anyone had misinterpreted me, I'm not telling anyone that they can't do anything that they want to do. Along with an earlier comment about 'policing the internet' I'm a bit worried some may think I'm promoting some authoritarian response, rather than a desire to have an open discussion about these issues.

Yet you suggested to Dr. Janet Dafoe to edit her post because you were worried, and you told everyone to be cautious. She and Dr. Davis have luckily decided to keep the post up. I know you would never force anyone to keep quiet, and I have no doubt you are doing what you think is the best for our community, but you have to understand that you and others are putting pressure on people to keep quiet.

I am going to repeat again, I support and have alway myself kept a cool head, stuck to the facts and kept emotions out of it.

But the truth is, considering the realiy of the situation we should all be lying down in the streets and blocking traffic and sceaming at top of our lungs. There are 20 MILLION horribly ill people around the world and no one even knows we exist. All the institutions that our countries have set up to help people like us have failed us. We have no treatment, no biomarkers, no support. And in most cases we have abuse and accusations leveled at us.

Being polite and patient has brought us nothing.

Every time we are afraid to express our emotions and opinions they win.

I am 100% sure have we actually in the past been obnoxious and loud that we would have much more funding today. But we are not. I am proud patients have kept their dignity throughout all this hardship, but when we are afraid to express our emotions and opinions which are justified and are not even stepping over the line we are failing everyone.

Advocacy is gaining momentum, we have patients sacrificing their health to reach politicians and journalists, we owe it to them to stop being cautious and be loud - If Dr. Davis didn't like journalist's attitude he has a full right to say it.

No one, absolutely no one, will see an anonymous post on an open forum accusing someone of being a criminal and think that 20 million patients are not worth helping. They might say it because it fits their narrative, but I guarantee you they won't think it.

NelliePledge

This forum is for people with ME it can be uncomfortable at times with the forcefulness with which opinions are expressed. Especially as someone who has only been in ME world for the last 18 months I am still getting used to this. I did struggle with this aspect of PR at first. But as someone pointed out to me it shouldn't be a surprise that people who have been living with ME for many years are fed up with the situation around the world and it is extra crazy in the UK due to the BPS stranglehold on NICE and the NHS. And people are entitled to be angry and express that anger within the rules of the forum.

Then I remembered myself in the past, the late 1980s, shouting at the TV news every night because I was so angry with the Thatcher government. obviously there weren't social media because we didn't have the Internet then. So I begin to understand the motivation. This medium is about exchange between ME people and although it can be viewed by others they don't have any right to see it as anything other than an online forum. It's not a formal communication like a letter or a petition or a press release on behalf of an organisation. Not sure this adds anything to the thread just me thinking aloud about how I feel about it and recognising that we re not in any professional or representative role here so shouldn't be held back from expressing ouselves. Especially as this is for me and I suspect for most of us the only place where we can talk about ME issues with our peers since friends and family don't understand.

Wish I could use a few swear words though at times

Last edited:

Tally

This forum is for people with ME it can be uncomfortable at times with the forcefulness with which opinions are expressed.

I find this to be one of the politest and tamest places on the internet. I was literally told to shoot myself in the face on Tumblr when I talked about dating a person of another race. I've seen women be threatened with rape on reddit for being feminists. I've seen vegans attacked mercilessly with swearwords and threats.

I've never seen anything even close to that here, and one time I saw something that was bordering on being a personal criticism I reported it and moderators erased it in less than an hour.

This medium is about exchange between ME people and although it can be viewed by others they don't have any right to see it as anything other than an online forum. It's not a formal communication like a letter or a petition or a press release on behalf of an organisation. Not sure this adds anything to the thread just me thinking aloud about how I feel about it and recognising that we re not in any professional or representative role here so shouldn't be held back from expressing ouselves.

Well said. Especially because patients can hold themselves back completely, and then someone who is not a patient can come and pretend to be anyone and say anything.

Esther12

Just in case anyone had misinterpreted me, I'm not telling anyone that they can't do anything that they want to do. Along with an earlier comment about 'policing the internet' I'm a bit worried some may think I'm promoting some authoritarian response, rather than a desire to have an open discussion about these issues.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rview-with-ron-davis.51891/page-6#post-858559

Yet you suggested to Dr. Janet Dafoe to edit her post because you were worried, and you told everyone to be cautious. She and Dr. Davis have luckily decided to keep the post up. I know you would never force anyone to keep quiet, and I have no doubt you are doing what you think is the best for our community, but you have to understand that you and others are putting pressure on people to keep quiet.

Charles Shepherd and Tom Kindlon both said that they'd had quite a lot of contact with a journalist looking at child protection issues and that they thought there had been some misunderstanding. I thought it would be sensible for Janet to edit her initial post in order to inform other people that there may have been a misunderstanding. What do you think I wanted her to keep quite about? When I gain additional information that could be relevent to something I've posted, I'll often try to edit it into my easrlier post, particualarly if, like in this instance, it was something that had ended up getting wider attention.

When two respected people have said that they think there's probably been a misunderstanding, that seems a sensible reason to be cautious to me.

I am going to repeat again, I support and have alway myself kept a cool head, stuck to the facts and kept emotions out of it.

But the truth is, considering the realiy of the situation we should all be lying down in the streets and blocking traffic and sceaming at top of our lungs. There are 20 MILLION horribly ill people around the world and no one even knows we exist. All the institutions that our countries have set up to help people like us have failed us. We have no treatment, no biomarkers, no support. And in most cases we have abuse and accusations leveled at us.

Things are terrible, and that's why it's important that we do what we can to try to improve things.

Being polite and patient has brought us nothing.

I'm not polite or patient, but nonethelss, I think that making exaggerated or unfounded claims is usually worse than nothing.

edit: This is something that annnoys, conflating concern about people making claims that cannot be defended in open debate with being timid, or having some undue concern for the social niceties of politeness. I want to bring the quacks down as fast as possible. Making unfounded or exaggerated claims makes that harder to achieve. It should be avoided not because we're polite and patient, but because what we're trying to a rude overthrowing of power as quickly as possible.

That's a very broad statement, and I don't think it's necessarily true. Surely you think it's possible that there are times when it could be wise for a patient or advocate to not just express their emotions?

I am 100% sure have we actually in the past been obnoxious and loud that we would have much more funding today. But we are not. I am proud patients have kept their dignity throughout all this hardship, but when we are afraid to express our emotions and opinions which are justified and are not even stepping over the line we are failing everyone.

Some people have been too abnoxious and loud and some people have been to deferential and quiet.

Advocacy is gaining momentum, we have patients sacrificing their health to reach politicians and journalists, we owe it to them to stop being cautious and be loud - If Dr. Davis didn't like journalist's attitude he has a full right to say it.

He has a right to say it. And who said otherwise? From what I've read, it seems that the patients sacrificing their health to in ways that have moved things foreward have been cautious and rigorous in order to be effective. The patient who won the recent Tribunal case left his arguments against an earlier finding that he made a vexatious request for information, and to me, this seems like exactly the sort of approach to advocacy likely to be useful for us: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/timing_of_changes_to_pace_trial#comment-59096

[edit: When it comes to patient advocacy, I think that most people would recognise that Matthees has done pretty darn well. The above document he posted was not part of a legal proceeding, but just a comment he posted on WDTK to explain his position. I'd really encourage people to read it, thin about the way he writes, think about the points he focuses on, and then think if there's anything that can be learnt from it. I feel that I've learnt about how to write more effectively from reading his work. He doesn't make exaggerated or unfounded claims, and I don't think that this is because he's overly concerned about being 'polite' or 'patient', or wants to stay quiet and avoid a fight. More likely, I think he's just thought carefully about the best ways to make real progress. We cannot hope for every patient to be as effective as Matthees has been, but I do think it's worth people trying to understand why his approach has been successful in such an important way in circumstances where it has been so difficult for advocates to achieve anything of value.]

No one, absolutely no one, will see an anonymous post on an open forum accusing someone of being a criminal and think that 20 million patients are not worth helping. They might say it because it fits their narrative, but I guarantee you they won't think it.

Lots of researchers are already using claims about the heated and adversarial nature of the debate around ME/CFS and PACE as an excuse to avoid addressing advocates concerns, even thoughthey write things elsewhere which imply that this is exactly the sort of thing which would concern them. I'm not saying that one single post will suddenly make researcher think that 20 million patients are not worth helping (did I write something to give you that impression? - what?) but I do think that we can post things that are likely to do more harm than good, and that it would be best if we tried to avoid doing that.

This forum is for people with ME it can be uncomfortable at times with the forcefulness with which opinions are expressed. Especially as someone who has only been in ME world for the last 18 months I am still getting used to this. I did struggle with this aspect of PR at first.

...And people are entitled to be angry and express that anger within the rules of the forum.

...So I begin to understand the motivation. This medium is about exchange between ME people and although it can be viewed by others they don't have any right to see it as anything other than an online forum. It's not a formal communication like a letter or a petition or a press release on behalf of an organisation. Not sure this adds anything to the thread just me thinking aloud about how I feel about it and recognising that we re not in any professional or representative role here so shouldn't be held back from expressing ouselves. Especially as this is for me and I suspect for most of us the only place where we can talk about ME issues with our peers since friends and family don't understand.

Wish I could use a few swear words though at times

I think these are all valuable points, both about the injustice of the way people's pain and anger can be judged by others, and about how even as a patient, you found the way some people wrote here uncomfortable whne you first joined. That is the situation we're in.

Last edited:

Stewart

Esther12 is more than capable of defending herself, but I think you're being a little unfair to her here. In suggesting that Janet Defoe edit her post she wasn't "putting pressure on people to keep quiet" - she was trying to stop a narrative of "more BBC bias" building steam and getting out of control, given that the comments from Tom Kindlon and Charles Shepherd have made it clear that the journalist in question isn't in the SMC's pocket (even if that's how he came across to Ron Davis and the other interviewees). Like you, I don't think that Janet editing her post would have been helpful or advisable - but equally I think we should be discouraging people from throwing mud at the journalist in question - and the BBC - until we've heard (or read) the report he's putting together, particularly as two long-standing members of the PR community have vouched for him. That's all Esther12 was trying to do - prevent people from getting unnecessarily worked up when there's good reason to believe that there's little or nothing to get worked up about.

(..and I see that while I was writing this, Esther12 has posted something to this effect. Ah well - I'm not going to get the energy I used typing that paragraph back, so I'm not deleting it...)

There's nothing wrong with expressing emotions and opinions. But when the first poster kicks off the thread by making a demonstrably false accusation (namely that Peter White is a 'criminal' when there's no suggestion that he's done anything illegal) I don't think it hurts to have someone remind the posters that follow not to get carried away. It's fine to express anger and frustration that Peter White will get to enjoy a very comfortable retirement after many years of conducting poor quality research that has contributed to making life unnecessarily difficult for so many people - but we can do that without making libellous accusations or being unnecessarily aggressive or abusive towards him.

The problem is that for all we'd like this to be a safe space where we can share our frustrations with people who understand what we're going through - it isn't. We know that the BPS mob trawl these forums looking for posts that they can take out of context to support their narrative that we're a bunch of dangerous anti-science extremists who wish them harm. We know that PR posts have been used in the past to justify refusing FoI requests - and although Queen Mary University London lost the Tribunal hearing last year, there were earlier FoI requests where they successfully used PR posts to persuade the Information Commissioner to uphold the refusal. We also know that Simon Wessely and Esther Crawley are in the habit of misrepresenting blog posts in their lectures to support their claims and undermine our position with the rest of the scientific community.

All Esther12 is saying (and she can correct me if I'm wrong) is "Before you push the 'post reply' button, take a moment to think how your message might look if it was taken out of context and pasted into a Powerpoint by Esther Crawley." She's not urging silence, or timidity - just that we don't unnecessarily provide them with more ammunition that will then be used against us.

Last edited:

Tally

@Esther12 and @Stewart you contradict yourself. You say you are cautioning about one thing but people you are asking to edit themselves have not done that thing.

@BurnA and I have given you several rational arguments against censoring ourselves for being afraid of giving fodder for their powerpoint, but you have not refuted them, you just keep on repeating same statement over and over again as if saying it enough times will make it true.

I don't know how to make it clearer than this: unless court gets IP address, proves which person using that IP address has written it, and confirms that person has ME/CFS, NOTHING on this forum is a proof of what patients say. What is stopping person X from writing posts on PR that libel themselves and use it in court? Nothing. There is a reason tribunal didn't rule in their favor.

However, this seems to be going off topic, so if someone wants to say more I think we should move to another thread.

Esther12

All Esther12 is saying (and she can correct me if I'm wrong) is "Before you push the 'post reply' button, take a moment to think how your message might look if it was taken out of context and pasted into a Powerpoint by Esther Crawley."

Even that may be too strong!.. I'm saying that I try to think about whether my posts on the internet will do more harm or good, and I think we'd be in a better position for advocacy if more patients were to do this, and if we were to do a bit more thinking and discussing about how patient's concerns can be used against them. Other than that, a very capable defence of what I was trying to say!

@Esther12 and @Stewart you contradict yourself. You say you are cautioning about one thing but people you are asking to edit themselves have not done that thing.

Could you provide the quotes where I contradict myself? I felt that some of your previous post rather misrepresented my position, and I think that providing quotes is a helpful way to avoid that happening.

Sean

Agree with those who say that PR is a fairly tame place on the internet-web thing, compared to what is out there. Quite tame, in fact.

PR has nothing to be ashamed of nor apologise for to the world at large.

Since when has harsh public words about misbehaviour by the powerful been harassment or bullying?

Esther12

Since when has harsh public words about misbehaviour by the powerful been harassment or bullying?

That's exactly my point. I don't expect us to be treated fairly on this. We've seen from a lot of media coverage and ICO decisions that we often are not.

I say plenty of harsh things about Wessely, White, etc, myself and sometimes I may go too far, but we are in a situation where going too far is likely to be unusually costly and I thnk it's worth being aware of that.

I think that the UK is particularly intollerant of criticisms of authority, and often uses excuses about 'tone' to evade engaging with substance, but if we want to cut the head off the beast, we are going to be engaging with the culture of the UK establishment, however unpleasent that may be for us.

I'm still interested enough in some music scenes to spend a bit of time on forums with young people, and see how 'comedy' rape threats are a routine part of internet discourse in some places, but they're not trying to challenge power and authority so it's not going to cause them problems. I'm not saying that PR is a hotbed of extremism we should be ashamed of, I'm saying that ME/CFS patients face prejudices and challenges that means even relatively minor slips risk being unhelpful even though they should not affect things one jot.

Last edited:

alex3619

This medium is about exchange between ME people and although it can be viewed by others they don't have any right to see it as anything other than an online forum. It's not a formal communication like a letter or a petition or a press release on behalf of an organisation.
Patients need a place to express themselves, though anything really contentious should be in the members only threads. However when advocating in any action, as you point out in letters or petitions, we need to be very considered. Our actions are important, and we want the best messages going out.

I have enormous tolerance for what patients say here. For many it may be our only place to communicate with others.

However I am very careful about what petitions or open letters I will sign.

Having said that we are far far past the point where most should be quiet, even in real life, which I think many here might agree with. This may lead to consequences for me, as I am starting to clash with some doctors in ways they do not like, but I will no longer be intimidated. I am too old now to be very concerned about what others think or may do if its not in our best interests. Which is the point ... we need to always be thinking about whats in our best interests.

However, even in advocacy this is a community. Not everyone will have the same view as to what is best for us. I am OK with that. It cannot be otherwise except in extremely clear situations.

There are cases where people need to be very careful though. Parents of children with ME who may be at risk of their child being sectioned are an example, as are patients directly threatened with the same action. In those circumstances everyone will have to make up their own mind on what to do ... there is no easy answer.

Stewart

This thread started with someone describing Peter White as a criminal. He isn't. There is no evidence to support this claim. If evidence proving all of the PACE team's methodological slight of hand was made public, he wouldn't be a criminal. Even if he was somehow found guilty of research misconduct (and I don't think this will ever happen) he still wouldn't have committed a criminal offence. I get that people don't like him (neither do I) and will feel the need to vent but that doesn't make it okay to call him a criminal when he isn't one, or to make other equally untrue, hyperbolic claims. That is the thing I am cautioning against. It *has* happened in this thread - in the very first post - so I don't know why you would claim that it hasn't.

I don't know how to make it clearer than this: unless court gets IP address, proves which person using that IP address has written it, and confirms that person has ME/CFS, NOTHING on this forum is a proof of what patients say. What is stopping person X from writing posts on PR that libel themselves and use it in court? Nothing. There is a reason tribunal didn't rule in their favor.

But very few FoI requests get as far as the Tribunal. Most people don't have the energy to pursue their case beyond the initial appeal to the Information Commissioner, and - as I explained in my previous post - QMUL *has* used PR posts in the past to help persuade the Commissioner to uphold their decision to refuse FoI requests. If the applicant doesn't appeal that decision - and most of the time people don't - they won't get the opportunity to question the provenance (and context) of the postings in front of the Tribunal.

QMUL were able to successfully reject over 30 FoI requests before they finally lost a case - and they won an earlier Tribunal hearing, in 2013. Just because one hearing went against them it doesn't mean that we can now say whatever we like about them with impunity, or that they won't try to use posts here as ammunition again in the future. Yes, if they wanted to they could set up sock puppet accounts here and post libellous material against themselves - but regardless of whether they do that or they don't, we shouldn't be doing the job for them.

You can be critical of (and even rude about) Peter White without making exaggerated claims that could all too easily be taken out of context and misrepresented as part of a 'malicious campaign' to unfairly ruin his reputation.

NelliePledge

I find this to be one of the politest and tamest places on the internet. I was literally told to shoot myself in the face on Tumblr when I talked about dating a person of another race. I've seen women be threatened with rape on reddit for being feminists. I've seen vegans attacked mercilessly with swearwords and threats.

I've never seen anything even close to that here, and one time I saw something that was bordering on being a personal criticism I reported it and moderators erased it in less than an hour.

Well said. Especially because patients can hold themselves back completely, and then someone who is not a patient can come and pretend to be anyone and say anything.

I dont really see the relevance of other places on line being terrible.This isnt the outside world its a forum for people with ME . I didnt say PR isnt polite I said the views are expressed in a forceful way which can be quite challenging to cope with especially if you're not on your best form. I also think sometimes individuals find themselves on the end of discussions in which there are a couple of people arguing forcefully against them which must be hard to handle. Not everyone relishes the cut and thrust of debate.

Large Donner

This thread started with someone describing Peter White as a criminal. He isn't. There is no evidence to support this claim. If evidence proving all of the PACE team's methodological slight of hand was made public, he wouldn't be a criminal. Even if he was somehow found guilty of research misconduct (and I don't think this will ever happen) he still wouldn't have committed a criminal offence.

If I deliberately or knowingly misrepresented my information in order to gain money from the public purse or a private insurance company, for example disability payouts, I would face criminal charges and possibly go to jail.

How does Peter White differ, is it because he has corporate protection and swindled millions of pounds from people out of their rightful payouts, endangered peoples health further and remunerated himself and his friends in the process?

Peter White et al claim that people recover with CBT and GET when the biggest trial they ever ran proved the opposite and on top of that they have done everything they possibly can to hide that proof by withholding data and shaping policy contrary to the truths they know exist in the PACE trial etc.

Is it that we just accept the status quo that the bigger you do it via corporate routes the easier it is to get away with it?

Last edited:

Sean

I think that the UK is particularly intollerant of criticisms of authority, and often uses excuses about 'tone' to evade engaging with substance, but if we want to cut the head off the beast, we are going to be engaging with the culture of the UK establishment, however unpleasent that may be for us.
Fair point. Australians and Americans perhaps tend to be a little less willing to submit to the ruling elite.

How about if all you UKers be (relatively) nice to your ruling elite, and we filthy foreigners throw public barbs at them on your behalf? :D

More seriously, if Corbyn manages the impossible and wins, it will be the best potential – I stress potential – political opening we have had in the UK since forever. The politics of ME/CFS in the UK is the primary force holding back progress on this disease. When (not if) it changes in our favour in the UK, we have won.

Anybody here have good connections into the Corbyn camp?

Having said that we are far far past the point where most should be quiet, even in real life, which I think many here might agree with. This may lead to consequences for me, as I am starting to clash with some doctors in ways they do not like, but I will no longer be intimidated. I am too old now to be very concerned about what others think or may do if its not in our best interests.
I am in much the same boat. Too old, with too little left to lose, and we are too close to winning this, for me to be much concerned anymore with attempts to silence me.

What are they going to do? Threaten me with a crap life? Bit late for that. :rolleyes:

Time to start pointing out to the guilty, in unambiguous terms, the very serious consequences of being on the wrong side of history on matters such as this. They are owed as much mercy as they showed us. Only seems fair. :angel:

Last edited: