• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prozac as an Antiviral?

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
New research on Prozac - may help against enteroviruses/cocksackie:

Read full article here: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/03/prozac-may-be-able-to-kill-some-viruses/

"Researchers at the University of California, Los Angeles, have discovered an unexpected property of fluoxetine, the antidepressant drug marketed asProzac
external-link.png
. In laboratory tests on cell cultures, the drug appears to have antiviral properties, particularly against human enteroviruses, a genus of potential killers that includes poliovirus."

"One compound,fluoxetine
external-link.png
, stood out. In a series of follow-up laboratory tests on virus samples, the researchers found that fluoxetine interferes with the growth and replication of coxsackieviruses, a prominent subtype of enteroviruses. "No one could have expected this antiviral propertya priori," Damoiseaux told LiveScience.
The researchers repeated the experiment on several kinds of coxsackieviruses with similar, successful results. Without being able to reproduce, theseinvading viruses
external-link.png
simply would die off."

GracieJ

Having come close to suicide on Prozac in the early 90s, I am not the least happy to hear this.

First thought that came to mind... maybe they should try just the fluorine...

Forgive me for being a little flippant. Could this become another series of studies that becomes high-profile, highly funded, highly fast-tracked? Will be watching.

Good old garlic kills the polio virus. You will never hear that in the news, though.

I wonder what Prozac would do to the viruses outside of the lab dish and in living human tissue.