• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Products that make your life easier?

Zebra

Hi, PR!

I came across this thread when doing a search for "cooling vest."

There are so many helpful ideas here, with folks sharing products, best brands, links to websites, etc., which is soooo helpful. I get VERY overwhelmed when shopping online. There are too many choices for my ME brain.

That brings me back to my search for a "cooling vest."

There are so many to choose from online. My initial survey has me leaning toward the more expensive ones designed for MS patients, but I am hoping some folks on PR might also recommend certain brands, perhaps slightly less expensive for a first-time purchase?

Thank you in advance for returning to this thread, and possibly assisting me with purchasing a cooling vest.

belize44

Hi, PR!

I came across this thread when doing a search for "cooling vest."

There are so many helpful ideas here, with folks sharing products, best brands, links to websites, etc., which is soooo helpful. I get VERY overwhelmed when shopping online. There are too many choices for my ME brain.

That brings me back to my search for a "cooling vest."

There are so many to choose from online. My initial survey has me leaning toward the more expensive ones designed for MS patients, but I am hoping some folks on PR might also recommend certain brands, perhaps slightly less expensive for a first-time purchase?

Thank you in advance for returning to this thread, and possibly assisting me with purchasing a cooling vest.
If you find a good one, please post the link. I am going through horrific overheating periods followed by profuse perspiring; I am betting it's the Dysautonomia.

Zebra

Hi, @belize44

I *finally* purchased a cooling vest this evening.

I used the INVALUABLE information that @Sushi posted two other threads:
1. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/cooling-vests-reviews.45243/
2. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ing-mechanic-cooling-suit.78745/#post-2359049

After reading, re-reading, and way too much thinking, I decided to start with this vest:
https://orosportsusa.com/products/coolsport

My rationale for choosing this one was:

1) cooling method of this vest, which is "passive"
2) vest, even with cooling packs, is reported to be incredibly lightweight
3) price point is less than $100 (current price is $89), so I was able to buy extra cooling packs

I hope this is helpful to you, and others. Please assume that I am pleased with my purchase unless you hear otherwise from me. :)

belize44

Yes, please let us know, and also if you try sleeping in it? I find that I overheat so badly at night that my sleep is disrupted.

Zebra

Hi, @belize44

I sleep on my back (sort of), so I definitely won't be sleeping in this cooling vest, as all the cooling packs are inserted in the back. :)

I do know there are a lot of products out there, pillows, mattress pads, etc. that claim to reduce overheating while sleeping.

@YippeeKi YOW !! started a thread somewhat similar to this old one. You might wanna hop over there and see if anyone has bought such products that are designed to help you keep cool while you sleep.

belize44

Hi, @belize44

I sleep on my back (sort of), so I definitely won't be sleeping in this cooling vest, as all the cooling packs are inserted in the back. :)

I do know there are a lot of products out there, pillows, mattress pads, etc. that claim to reduce overheating while sleeping.

@YippeeKi YOW !! started a thread somewhat similar to this old one. You might wanna hop over there and see if anyone has bought such products that are designed to help you keep cool while you sleep.
I can't find it. Link please?

belize44

I can't sleep on my back due to sleep apnea, so I am curious if this will work out. I was reading about wool toppers for the mattress; supposedly they help regulate temperature so that the bed doesn't get too warm.

HRManager

"Deal with it"
i'm also in the heating pad camp, but a cooling vest sounds really great right about now.

i got a portable/countertop dishwasher recently off of amazon (my apt doesn't have a built in dishwasher), and i wish i had gotten one ages ago.

i think i'm going to get one of the monthly pill organizers. i have too many days where i can't remember if i've taken all my supplements/rx for the day. anyone have better suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/MedCenter-31...8&qid=1468127447&sr=8-1&keywords=MedCenter+31

i'm getting a blueair air purifier this week. hope that keeping down allergens will help with the chronic sore throat, etc.

I use an organizer like this:

https://a.co/d/7Iwyca3

Mine is a little bigger. I need a 4X daily with large slots for vitamins and gabapentin.

HRManager

"Deal with it"
I would like to try an ice bath. Looked them up on Amazon for shits and giggles. They really aren't too expensive... but the cost of ice would add up. An ice maker would probably be cheaper.