• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMF opens a branch in Australia!

Murph

:)
https://www.emerge.org.au/omf-australia

Established in October 2020, Open Medicine Foundation Australia (OMF Australia) is an Australian foundation set up to support biomedical research through the establishment of a new ME/CFS collaborative research centre in Australia. OMF Australia was founded by Emerge Australia in partnership with the Open Medicine Foundation, meaning that Australia is now part of the largest, concerted worldwide non-profit effort to diagnose, treat and find a cure for ME/CFS.

The Australian centre is directed by Christopher Armstrong, PhD, and seeks to develop a disease management and treatment approach that focuses on the individual patient and the biology that underlies their disease. The research will look for unifying biological pathways of ME/CFS that cause the disease experience to be the same between patients, while also identifying biological aspects that produce different disease experiences between patients.

GetImage.aspx

"I am thrilled that OMF has decided to expand its global ME/CFS research network to Australia,” Dr Armstrong said. “This will be the fifth Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) of this network and I am absolutely honoured to be the director.

"Over the past couple years I have been working with the other CRC directors, observing the great research at Stanford, Harvard, Uppsala and Montreal and I'm excited to bring the excellent Australian research community to the fold."

“It was clear to us at Emerge Australia that there has been a real need to find a way for people with ME/CFS, and for the wider community, to be able to donate to high quality biomedical research into ME/CFS here in Australia,” explained Emerge Australia CEO Dr Heidi Nicholl.

“Partnering with Open Medicine Foundation to establish OMF Australia made sense to us in a lot of ways. They have already established research centres around the world and we love the whole ethos of scientists openly sharing their results with one another.

“We also love that they are completely explicit about being in this to find a cure. Developing a diagnostic test and finding effective treatments will hopefully come along the way, but they want a cure. And we want that too.

“They have all their systems worked out already including a scientific advisory board that includes two Nobel laureates. The other thing was connecting Australia into this international network. It helps for everybody to raise the profile of home-grown researchers. Finally they’re just incredibly kind and easy to work with. We love OMF and they made this process so easy for us.”