• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need to find button that sends a text to my caregiver or to a pager

Whit

Hi everyone,
I'm usually really good at finding tech gadgets like this that help make my life work better. I love finding ways to make things work more smoothly and take less energy. I have gadgets and little setups that use less energy everywhere around me.

I'm getting worse right now after Abilify stopped working. I stopped it for 3 months and started it again. I'm hoping for the best, but as always, you need to plan for the worst. I need a plan in case I can't text my caregiver anymore to come over. I'm having trouble finding what I want though because this product segment is flooded with stuff for seniors and have the wrong features. I don't need to talk through it, or fall recognition (my hips are strong AF thank you :)

I'm looking to buy 2 devices to see which works better and have what I need:

1)
A button that sends a text or calls my caregiver to tell her I need her to come over. Ideally I could choose text or phone call (she doesn't always see/wake up from texts)

2)
A button that sends a signal to an actual little beeper that my caregiver wears and she can set the alarm or vibration so it works for her.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Whitney

hapl808

Sorry to hear you're getting worse.

I did see there's something called V.ALRT that looks like it does what you describe, but reviews are pretty mediocre because it relies on bluetooth, plus your phone apparently needs to be running the app in the background. Therefore if it shuts down, you'd have to launch the app - and I'm guessing that might not be possible. Sometimes something unreliable like that could be worse than nothing.

I wonder if there's some app (maybe Android?) that allows you to remap a phone home screen into buttons. I would imagine that could be helpful where you'd just need to touch a button and a pre-programmed message or call would be made. Could be mounted near the bed and separate from your regular phone?

Whit

Sorry to hear you're getting worse.

I did see there's something called V.ALRT that looks like it does what you describe, but reviews are pretty mediocre because it relies on bluetooth, plus your phone apparently needs to be running the app in the background. Therefore if it shuts down, you'd have to launch the app - and I'm guessing that might not be possible. Sometimes something unreliable like that could be worse than nothing.

I wonder if there's some app (maybe Android?) that allows you to remap a phone home screen into buttons. I would imagine that could be helpful where you'd just need to touch a button and a pre-programmed message or call would be made. Could be mounted near the bed and separate from your regular phone?

I already have my iPhone Home Screen covered in little buttons that with one touch send a specific text to a specific person (caregiver or parents), but if I got a lot worse, I couldn't touch my phone at all and would even need to use my elbow to push a physical button. :(

This is all battery operated and one of the "chime" selections is just a knock so maybe that wouldn't be jarring to anyone. ???

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Wireless-Door-Chime-with-8-Unique-Sounds-19297/205450029#overlay

I already have a wireless door chime to call to the house, but my parents are old and can't hear and can't help me in the middle of the night, so I really need a button/beeper or button/text system for my caregiver.

Can you get a smart watch with this ability/app?

If I could touch the watch I could touch my phone, and I can't tolerate even the idea of wearing a smartwatch, ahhh it stresses me out so much. haha

Thanks for the ideas

Whit

this does exactly what I want, but the reviews look pretty bad, it almost looks like all the positive reviews are shills and the honest ones are all negative. And I couldn't hold a button down for a whole second anyways.

LINK

I'm really surprised there isn't a button/beeper system for disabled/elderly who need to call a caregiver easily.

There's also this, which maybe with a HomePod at my caregiver's house could be setup with automations? But it sounds complicated and I don't know if she'd have to be in range of the HomePod.

LINK

someone must know of something that would work, I really need a backup in case I get worse. Figuring out tech hacks for ME/CFS is fun but when it doesn't work it's so annoying!

linusbert

thats a bit techy, but a somewhat fit tech guy could do something with https://retool.com/ in a few minutes.
you could make a simple app with just one button, when the button is hit you send a email, or a sms. i dont think you can make calls though.
but the whole thing needs to run in a browser or a app. so you need either a computer or a smart phone around you where you tap with your finger on the screen were your own app runs.

but you could also use simple voice commands on your smart phone like
"hey siri, send sms 'he bro need help' to nurse"
if siri is enabled its in listen mode all the time, so if your phone is in reach you can basically call for help by voice.
you can send a sms, email or do a direct call.