• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lion Diet

mattie

Eat plants! Save animals!
  • ANIMAL WELFARE: Eating meat requires the death of a living being. Eating dairy usually involves animals being separated from their children, causing distress to both mother and calf. Dairy cattle frequently develop bovine mastitis (a painful infection and inflammation of the udders), and factory farmed animals are kept in cramped conditions and pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones in order to maximise profit. Unlike wild animals, humans do not require meat to survive (and definitely not dairy products from other animals). Eating meat is a choice and, as moral actors, the correct choice is surely to give up meat and dairy.
  • ENVIRONMENT: When cows eat grass, microbes in their gut break down their meal and produce methane. This methane (a greenhouse gas) is released into the atmosphere via the magic of cow burps and farts, making livestock farming one of the biggest contributors to global warming. Factor in deforestation from land clearance, biodiversity loss, and air and water pollution, and animal agriculture is terrible for the environment.
  • HEALTH: Vegan diets tend to be rich in foods that have proven health benefits: fresh fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts, beans and pulses. A vegan diet is typically higher in fibre, and lower in cholesterol, protein, calcium and salt compared to a non-vegan diet. Research suggests that vegans may have a lower risk of heart disease than non-vegans.

Last edited:

Jyoti

I am convinced that some humans do indeed thrive on a diet consisting of animals/products. I do not doubt @GreenEdge's success, and I personally know a couple of others who seem to be on the same hopeful path.

I also know that for whatever reason, I do not. Perhaps it is the make-up of my particular physiology. But just as likely, it is the first two points that Mattie has made. How can I actually digest dead animals, aware of the cost and suffering to the animals themselves and to the planet and all of us who live on it? I have never been able to.

And I guess at this point, I wouldn't want to. It's a choice.

mattie

https://mcpress.mayoclinic.org/nutr...nswer-examining-the-carnivore-and-lion-diets/

TikTok is at it again. Another new fad diet has made its way to our social media feeds: the Lion Diet. This newest trend goes against (almost all) nutrition guidelines by eliminating (almost all) foods. And while a short-term elimination challenge may help some people identify gastrointestinal triggers, there are much more appropriate and sustainable strategies out there.

What is the Lion Diet and why is it used?​

According to its website, the Lion Diet is described as a whole food elimination diet used to treat leaky gut. Allegedly offering the body “all the nutrients it needs,” this diet includes ruminant meat, salt and water. Ruminant meat comes from animals that chew their cud, like cows, buffaloes, sheep, goats and deer.

The all-meat diet targets consumers with illness and those who are on medications. It claims to put “illness into remission.” After you’re feeling better, you can reintroduce a wider array of foods “identifying what your body likes and doesn’t like.”

These types of statements, especially without any links or references to peer-reviewed literature (though the blogger’s personal Amazon store happens to be clickable …) not only confuse readers, but potentially put their health at further risk by encouraging an unsustainable, unproven and unbalanced diet.

Click to read full article from Mayo Clinic

we’re not lions.
promoting these dangerous and extremely immoral diets is bad..

Last edited:

GreenEdge

Eat plants! Save animals!
  • ANIMAL WELFARE: Eating meat requires the death of a living being. Eating dairy usually involves animals being separated from their children, causing distress to both mother and calf. Dairy cattle frequently develop bovine mastitis (a painful infection and inflammation of the udders), and factory farmed animals are kept in cramped conditions and pumped full of antibiotics and growth hormones in order to maximise profit. Unlike wild animals, humans do not require meat to survive (and definitely not dairy products from other animals). Eating meat is a choice and, as moral actors, the correct choice is surely to give up meat and dairy.
  • ENVIRONMENT: When cows eat grass, microbes in their gut break down their meal and produce methane. This methane (a greenhouse gas) is released into the atmosphere via the magic of cow burps and farts, making livestock farming one of the biggest contributors to global warming. Factor in deforestation from land clearance, biodiversity loss, and air and water pollution, and animal agriculture is terrible for the environment.
  • HEALTH: Vegan diets tend to be rich in foods that have proven health benefits: fresh fruit, vegetables, seeds, nuts, beans and pulses. A vegan diet is typically higher in fibre, and lower in cholesterol, protein, calcium and salt compared to a non-vegan diet. Research suggests that vegans may have a lower risk of heart disease than non-vegans.

How can I actually digest dead animals, aware of the cost and suffering to the animals themselves and to the planet and all of us who live on it? I have never been able to.

And I guess at this point, I wouldn't want to. It's a choice.

Last edited:

GreenEdge

Anthony Chaffee is a practicing orthopedic surgeon working in western Australia. If he ever made a claim that he couldn't defend he would risk loosing his medical license.

Why are vegetarians so aggressive? It's because their brains are not getting the nutrients they require.

Carnivores aren't aggressive. They are calm and just doing their own thing. Eating meat has turned me into a proper man. But when I'm more tired and fatigued than usual, when I’m feeling weak, I find it hard to stay in my masculine center. I become more like my former self, a typical needy (feminine) male.

GreenEdge

... risk loosing his medical license.
Dr. Ken Berry says he gets reported to the medical board almost everyday and he has to defend his stance and he will keep doing that serving a cause greater than himself.

Dr. Gary Fettke lost his medical license and he tells his story in this video interview:
The origins of the anti-meat message with Dr. Gary Fettke — Diet Doctor Podcast (55 min)
They tried to silence him simply for trying to help his patients eat better and improve their health. Fortunately they failed. Now Dr. Fettke, along with his wife Belinda, has made it his mission to uncover the truth behind the anti-meat establishment and much of what he has discovered is shocking. He continues to work as an orthopdeic surgeon, but he sees a better way to helping those who are obese or suffer from diabetes- LCHF. Or as he calls it, real food nutrition. He is outspoken, witty and a true low carb hero.
But what's more interesting is what Gary's wife Belinda Fettke uncovered:
Belinda Fettke - Nutrition Science - How did we get here? May 2020 (58 min)