• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lactoferrin

MMe

Yasko said:
Lactoferrin can also help reduce elevated levels of red blood cells and high hematocrit values.

I do have slightly elevated hematocrit/hemoglobin/RBC. (I don't know why it slowly ramps up over the years...)
When I want to adress my ACAT mutation, Yasko suggests lactoferrin among others.

But when I check lactoferrin on the internet, several studies say it raises hematocrit and hemoglobin. :(

Has anyone tried lactoferrin? And what were the effects on your hematocrit/hemoglobin? Is Yasko wrong?

Ema

I can't say whether or not Yasko is wrong but I can say that lactoferrin has had no appreciable effect on either my hemoglobin or hematocrit. They have stayed in the same range. Possibly there was no effect because my levels didn't need raising or lowering, though.

Ema

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
This is just a wild guess based on zero knowledge, but maybe lactoferrin normalizes hemoglobin and hematocrit, so it would raise them if they were low or lower them if they were high?

MMe

Thanks for your answers Ema and L Bluestem!
I think I'll choose the safe way, and skip the lactoferrin... :(