• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Carnitine vs ALCAR - one causing fatigue?

bigmillz

Been trying to narrow down what in my stack could have thrown me into a pit of fatigue this past week, and looking at my log, I did just realize I switched 1g LCF for 1g ALCAR last Friday. Every day since, I seem to run into some nap-worthy fatigue in the evening (following 2nd 500mg dose of ALCAR), a little moodiness, and excessive carb cravings.

I've seen a small handful of stories elsewhere online that expressed similar symptoms from ALCAR vs LCF. And that some of the folks who had issues with ALCAR didn't notice it for several days (I'm 8 days in, after 6 very positive days on LCF).

While I intend to switch back and see how it goes, can anyone else confirm if ALCAR caused such an issue, and if LCF was notably better for them?

bigmillz

I answered my own question - the ALCAR turned out to be a big issue. By late Friday night, I was getting super angry and more. I dropped ALCAR Saturday and went back to LCF, and by today things are already substantially better. Just putting this out there to help others in the future.