• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iron supplements

Carl

Be aware that some people, a surprisingly high number of people, ie genetically can have problems with iron accumulation ie haemochromatosis. I have a slight tendency towards this after getting a full genome test at dante labs.

Haemochromatosis was highlighted recently in the UK.

Curcumin is meant to help prevent a build up.

Take a look at Swanson ferrochel iron capsules available from healthmonthly.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Black Strap Molasses. I've read a lot of people on other boards say it raised their iron levels when supplements didn't.

I did also try a supplement called Easy Iron because it is said to be easy on the stomach and it was. I also eat beef liver once in a while. Remember to take them with vitamin C to improve absorption.

Also if you can, have your copper levels checked. I've read that a lot of people are deficient in copper and if you are, the iron won't absorb. It needs copper to do it's job but get checked before taking it because it's easy to swing back the other way and become toxic if you take too much.

One thing to keep in mind though is that bacteria and some cancers feed on iron too so you want to make sure you are deficient before taking it. No good feeding the bad stuff if you're trying to get well.

Heme iron is well-absorbed. It is the kind found in meat and liver.

A brand name of heme iron is Proferrin. Here is an article about Proferrin/heme iron:

https://badgut.org/information-centre/product-reviews/proferrin-heme-iron-polypeptide/

I believe Easy Iron may be the same thing as iron bisglycinate, which is also a well-absorbed. According to this study, iron bisglycinate is about twice as effective in ameliorating iron deficiency as the stand iron sulfate, which means you can take half as much for the same effect and avoid much of the gut upset that often occurs with iron.

Another vote here for heme iron. I like beef spleen supplements, which have more iron than liver. And another vote for making sure your iron is actually low as there are many nutrients needed for iron metabolism - copper, vitamin A, biotin, B2, B5, B6, B12, B9, lysine, antioxidants to reduce oxidized iron so that the iron can be reused... Also, hepcidin levels must be low enough.

Archie

There is heme iron supplement called OptiFer alpha / OptiFer F , it looks cheaper option than Proferrin

But you would need to be pretty sure that you really have iron defiency before take, iron overload is also something some have, or unbound (toxic ) iron . Unbound iron causes inflammation all over body and organs .

So checking ceruloplasmin and more different types of iron lab test is good to have before start bumbing up iron with supplements