• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Instant relief with inosine + caffeine

pattismith

here an attempt to explain the arousal effect from caffeine + inosine.
The modulation of GABA by the adenosine receptors may be involved.

. Caffeine blocks A1R and A2R with equivallent affinity
. Inosine activate A1R and A2R with higher affinity for A1R (like do adenosine)

.arousal effect of caffeine is produced by blockade of A2R
.proepileptogen effect of caffeine is produced by blockade of A1R

.Inosine is able to effectively compete with caffeine at the A1R

.INOSINE + CAFFEINE MIGHT PRODUCE A1R ACTIVATION + A2R BLOCKADE

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6154612/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153505/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6784145/

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
What I've realised over the last several months is that caffeine reduces headaches. I did stop caffeine for approx 6 months and then took 100mg and had a good day as far as headaches go. I use it between 2-3 days a week. I did up it to 200mg a day and probably took 5 months before I noticed the effects wearing off. I'm back down to 100mg a day for awhile and I will take a complete break fir a few weeks Very soon to lower my tolerance to caffeine.

I have said in some of my recent posts that I'm functioning well and have been weight training, so take caffeine as a preworkout on those days. I still get chronic low level headaches which caffeine treats well, otherwise my cfs symptoms are greatly reduced.

Currently I add AlphaGPC to my morning/preworkout supplements and was using tyrosine in this stack until I ran out. I take creatine daily. @pattismith your addition of ribose, I will add to my list to try again as apart of my preworkout.

Sometimes I do add a low dose 50mg of Modafinil, once a fortnight.
Addition of inosine sounds interesting too, will have to give it a try in my stack as well. Although I have used it in the past, just not for this reason, more for replacing Immunovir and increasing immune function.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Thats interesting @heapsreal and encouraging that it works consistently. One theory as to why it works on some headaches is that it is a vasoconstrictor that inhibits pain signals.

Caffeine is suppose to increase the effects of simple pain killers like brufen and paracetamol too.

What is interesting about Caffeine helping by vasoconstricting, is that the triptan meds used for migraines are suppose to work in a similar way but my personal experience is it didn't help and if anything made me feel worse.

Today was my Caffeine day, so I try to make the most of it. So did a workout and came home, cleaned and mopped the floors, now the batteries are running low, so time to lay down and surf the internet for abit.

It's good when you find something that consistently works but have to be careful of tolerance and take breaks from it etc.

Cheers

Thats interesting @heapsreal and encouraging that it works consistently. One theory as to why it works on some headaches is that it is a vasoconstrictor that inhibits pain signals.

It's not that simple as it's both a vasoconstrictor as a vascodilator. There is some information here and I also remember Huberman talking about it and the different effects when not taking it daily (I guess it was on his episode about caffeine).