• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Huge muscle weakness from October - low EPA, high FIGLU?

Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well. I've been dealing with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) for about 4.5 years now. It all began with either a coxsackie virus or perhaps some other virus. During the initial two years, my condition was mostly mild, I could walk for 3,4 km daily. However, following a bout with Covid, I started experiencing dysautonomia issues, which worsened over time. I managed to gain some control over certain aspects of dysautonomia, which alleviated some of the issues but PEM persisted and was worsening because doctors were telling me that everything is ok so I was constantly going above my limits.

I experience PEM, but before October 2023, it primarily manifested as breathing difficulties, limiting my activities for a few hours. For instance, I could walk for 15 minutes, but afterward, I needed to rest. While it wasn't mild PEM, the upside was that it typically only lasted the same day as the exertion. That was basically my only symptom, together with dysautonomia (didn't have brain fog, GI issues, neuro pains etc.)

Since October 2023, I've been facing significant muscle weakness even with minor exertions and that didn't happen before. For instance, playing the piano for just 15 minutes can lead to profound muscle weakness lasting for several days. Previously, I could play piano for hours without worsening PEM. Sometimes, even typing on a keyboard became challenging, requiring extended periods of rest.

My supplement regimen includes creatine monohydrate 5g before breakfast, Vitamin D 1000iU & K2, Ubiquinol 100mg, Selenium 100mcg, Magnesium glycinate (or threonate), and occasionally NAC 500mg, B complex, Zinc 30mg, Copper (l-optizync), and Vitamin C 500mg (or 1g). Although there hasn't been much change for months, I noticed a significant improvement in muscle weakness and its frequency after introducing Taurine. I'm not sure how it works, but I plan to discuss it with my doctor.

Recently, I consulted a functional medicine doctor for the first time, and she recommended undergoing the NutriEval test. I'll be discussing the results with her in the next few days. However, I value the knowledge shared here and would appreciate any insights from those who might have had similar experiences and could help interpret the results before my next consultation with her. I've included images of the results below together with salivary cortisol test. Thank you!

Some notable findings from the test:
  • A need to redo the analysis for amino acids from blood due to unfavorable pH values; I'll be redoing it in a few days.
  • Elevated FIGLU levels (Does this indicate a deficiency in Folate?)
  • Elevated Manganese and Magnesium levels (I waas taking 2 Mg Glycinate or Threonate supplements daily for a long time)
  • Extremely low EPA levels, below the detectable limit (I haven't been taking Omega-3 supplements and I don't consume fish).
  • Unrelated to Nutrieval test, I would like to add that I have positive HHV6 Igm and Igg (three straight times), CMV Igg and Covid Igg. Thyroid is good and PTH is also good.

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    250.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image2.png
    image2.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image3.png
    image3.png
    220.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image10.png
    image10.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 3
  • image5.png
    image5.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image20.png
    image20.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 3
  • cortisol test.png
    cortisol test.png
    31 KB · Views: 5
I am sorry you are suffering so much. Don't give up hope. I also suffer extreme muscle weakness at times and i have no idea what might help. I did have minor improvement with creatinine. You could take an algae supplement for omega 3. That is better then fish oil. Fish get their omega 3 from algae and it does not contain pollutants like fish does