• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many of you have had a muscle biopsy, quantitative or single fiber EMG?

ChookityPop

This is guaranteed happening in ME/CFS as well.. 63%!

Myopathy as a cause of Long COVID fatigue: Evidence from quantitative and single fiber EMG and muscle histopathology Highlights

• Myopathic changes in qEMG and/or increased jitter in sfEMG were seen in 63% of 84 patients with Long COVID neuromuscular symptoms.

• Low quality of life score correlated with higher mean jitter values in sfEMG but not with qEMG measures.

•Electron microscopy showed damage of terminal nerves and motor endplate.

Conclusions: Myopathic changes are common in Long COVID. sfEMG abnormality is less common but may correlate with clinical scores. sfEMG changes may be due to motor endplate pathology.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1388245723000196

Last edited:

linusbert

i did EMG and biopsy and had myopathic changes. i dont know about the sfEMG and qEMG part. but they said it looked like a myopathic muscle.
also a lot of fat droplets in the muscles and lipofuscin promoted degenerative signs. and of course atrophy.

my personal believe is , that if the energy metabolism especially in muscles is broken, the muscle develops certain signs of damage which show up in biopsy and EMG.
my hope is also, when the broken metabolism is fixed, the muscles revert back to a normal state.

ChookityPop

i did EMG and biopsy and had myopathic changes. i dont know about the sfEMG and qEMG part. but they said it looked like a myopathic muscle.
also a lot of fat droplets in the muscles and lipofuscin promoted degenerative signs. and of course atrophy.

my personal believe is , that if the energy metabolism especially in muscles is broken, the muscle develops certain signs of damage which show up in biopsy and EMG.
my hope is also, when the broken metabolism is fixed, the muscles revert back to a normal state.
Thank you very much for sharing. Interesting.
What are your symptoms? Do you have muscle weakness?

ChookityPop

muscle cramps and somewhat weakness.
Can you please describe your muscle weakness? How severe is it?
And what have the doctors told you to do? do you get any treamtment or do they recommend certain things?

Last edited:

linusbert

Can you please describe your muscle weakness? How severe is it?
And what have the doctors told you to do? do you get any treamtment or do they recommend certain things?
not severe but at times can get annoying, the cramping is my main problem. its due to energy exhaustion.

they told to do genetic testing and i could try certain vitamins like Q10, B2, Carnitin etc.