• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HOUSEBOUND DURING WINTER

Emmarose47

Hi this is my 3rd winter housebound but more challenging as I don't have the garden shed house I had before. It's noisier here with neighbours and so need to pick my times to be outside my door which limits me further.
Sometimes hanging my head out the window is the best it gets. I value that some of don't even have that 'luxury'.
I'm a super outdoor person so this 'challenge' is one I have no choice but to take on.
I'm interested to hear others exp on housebound over winter. Things that help you.

Maybe we can use this thread over the winter to be heard and valued in the task we are set.

Do you have any outdoor space? I sometimes use a thick warm sleeping bag, camping mat and bivvy bag (if showers or dew are likely) and rest outside rather than in the house. May not be possible for you but it's quite nice on a sunny day even if it's cold out. Actually it's quite nice having the cold on my head

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Same here, i borrow money and stock up on groceries by the end of December, pay it back with January and February (and March) money.
I have enough to do to keep me going for several lifetimes so i don't get bored, but then again i never finish any of my unable to do things.
Also i make sure to arrange doctors appointments and medical tests outside of winter.

Emmarose47

Do you have any outdoor space? I sometimes use a thick warm sleeping bag, camping mat and bivvy bag (if showers or dew are likely) and rest outside rather than in the house. May not be possible for you but it's quite nice on a sunny day even if it's cold out. Actually it's quite nice having the cold on my head
Hi I do have outdoor space but it's challenging with drunk neighbour out most of the day and shouting..
At the back there is grass and to get to it I need to slide out of the window. It's incredibly noisy out there... I did buy ear defenders but they are not comfortable.
In summer I was going out there and putting ear plugs in.
Love your outdoor set up, great idea.... That full connection with the earth.. Yes the cold air isn't it wonderful I often have windows wide open. Live on a hill here so get lots of high winds love it

Emmarose47

Same here, i borrow money and stock up on groceries by the end of December, pay it back with January and February (and March) money.
I have enough to do to keep me going for several lifetimes so i don't get bored, but then again i never finish any of my unable to do things.
Also i make sure to arrange doctors appointments and medical tests outside of winter.
Hi same as in housebound?
Do u have outdoor space

@Emmarose47 that sounds very annoying re your neighbour. Perhaps an alternative would be to turn the heating off and get the window wide open and try and be as close to it as possible for a few hours. Not quite the same but maybe less disruption from neighbours

Emmarose47

Yep I do that.. Lunch today had it wide open was great as windy... I had that I've just been on the beach and my brain is full of oxygen feeling...

Emmarose47

Hi same as in housebound?
Do u have outdoor space
I can relate to the not able to finish things... For me it's a mix of adhd and m. E.
There are a lot of start stop. Things in this apartment.. But then I need to congratulat on what I do get done