• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Net Worth Individuals with ME/CFS/LC connection?

If, in a hypothetical scenario , there were a drug that could dramatically improve QoL for ME/CFS patients but funding to trial it was hard to come by from governments/politicians, who would you approach?

Put another way, do you know of any potentially very wealthy (multi, multi-millionaire / billionaire) individuals with a personal connection to ME/CFS, LC, POTS, etc? Perhaps who have the illness themselves, have done charity work related to it or have a family member who is affected by it?

I’m aware of Justin Bieber (who has chronic Lyme) and also John Caudwell - a UK billionaire who has set up a charity for Lyme disease research (https://caudwelllyme.com).

Does anyone else come to mind?

Thanks very much.

Treeman

Recently the UK conservative MP Sajid Khan said he had a family member who did. He then went on to focus further attention to the illness from a strategic point as he was health minister. But shortly after left the post. I think there is still the group ongoing but not sure were they are?

lenora

A number of years ago it was widely rumored that Cher had ME. There are also other stars, of course, and we did raise $ to help with research. I know she has had a show since that time, but what her condition is....I couldn't tell you.

I wish I could provide you with other names, but.....!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-announces-new-plan-to-help-those-impacted-by-mecfs

Government announces new plan to help those impacted by ME/CFS

Interim delivery plan outlines 21 actions to improve understanding, research and care for those living with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.
Thanks so much. I knew about Sajid's efforts - indeed I found them very encouraging - but didn't know they might have been motivated by a family member's struggles with the illness.

Rufous McKinney

I know somebody who was once the nanny for somebody famous's offspring.

Ideally somebody famous and well, but they have a family member or loved one, afflicted.