• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Cortisol morning and evenings?

What does it mean if I have high cortisol in the morning and evenings. I know my cortisol should be highest in the morning but why would it, in addition, be high in the evenings as well?

Thanks

Mary

Moderator Resource
@dominover - my cortisol used to be high middle of the night, causing severe insomnia which nothing would touch until I got it lowered. I'm positive this was due to years of chronic stress. Seriphos (phosphorylated serine, NOT phosphatidyl serine) was extremely helpful in normalizing my cortisol levels.

So I don't know if stress is the cause of your high evening cortisol, but Seriphos might help. I had to experiment to get the dose I needed. I found through titrating up gradually that I needed to take 8 capsules a day (a high dose, and I don't recommend anyone starting with that amount). I also found that it was best to take it in the morning, I read that this had something to do with the circadian rhythm. When taken at night it caused a weird awful kind of insomnia, but when taken in the morning, it just calmed me down, I felt better able to deal with stress and starting sleeping better. Eventually of course I cut back my dose - after some months I was getting more tired and then realized my cortisol was going too low. Now I only need small doses sporadically, if I'm under unusual stress, which I try to avoid.

Thanks! I think the high morning and evening cortisol could be the result of high night cortisol carrying through. Nice to about the PS, I will try this.

Strangely enough, I did go through a serious bout if stress 1o years ago and my body hasn't been the sane since. 2 years if severe stress, NY hands would shake.

I noticed that eating protein before bed calms me down and I get a better sleep. That's probably why, my cortisol is too high and I need a slow source of BG through the night to calm me down.

Thanks for your help! Any other comments welcome.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@dominover - just one tip - be careful referring to Seriphos as "PS" - Generally "PS" refers to phosphatidyl serine, not phosphorylated serine. So if you go searching for PS serine something, you'll probably get the wrong product. Phosphatidyl serine is not nearly as effective as Seriphos (phosphorylated serine).

Pyrrhus

Studies with ME patients have shown an “inverted cortisol profile”, where cortisol is relatively low in the morning when it should be high, and relatively high in the evening when it should be low.

This is assumed to be due to hypothalamic dysfunction, just as with most of the other hormonal abnormalities.

I don’t have the relevant citations handy right now, but I can probably dig them up if necessary...

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. A few spelling mistakes in my last post.
As for my cortisol profile, mine isn't inverted. It's high in the morning and high in the evening (both).

I'm just not sure how it gets to this. I believe my father was the same. He was so stressed in the evenings and couldn't sleep late for the same reasons I can't . He didn't even make 60.

So there must be a condition behind this, and it's that condition I'm trying to determine. As mentioned, maybe it rises at night and stays marginally high all night and then when the light hits my face it rises again (a double whammy in the morning).

Either way, the only thing I can do is manage it. phosphorylated serine seems to be a great way of doing this (going off your posts), but will this help heal the problem (taking into account an improvement in lifestyle factors and diet)?

Thanks

If anyone is still reading this, would any of you know the difference between Seriphos which I believe to be an amino acid, and Adaptogen herbs like Ashwaganda?

I've used Ashwaganda in the past but it seems to only be a bandaid and provides a temporary fix to an ongoing problem.

Thanks