• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have bronchitis -- worth taking antibitiocs?

outdamnspot

I just saw a doctor; apparently, the excessive coughing/phlegm I've had for the past 3 weeks is bronchitis. I get nervous about putting anything new into my body at this point because of how severe my CFS, but he's prescribed a 5-day course of antibiotics. Would I be better off treating the bronchitis with abx than leaving it?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Id question why only 5 days. Many acute chest and sinus infections need 10 to 14 days.

I guess you could leave it for a few days and see if you get better. Asthma inhaler could be helpful.

outdamnspot

Id question why only 5 days. Many acute chest and sinus infections need 10 to 14 days.

I guess you could leave it for a few days and see if you get better. Asthma inhaler could be helpful.

It's been about 3 weeks and the symptoms haven't changed/improved at all. I'm not sure why the GP only gave 5 days' worth. He was a home-visit doctor though, not my regular GP.

pamojja

I just saw a doctor; apparently, the excessive coughing/phlegm I've had for the past 3 weeks is bronchitis. I get nervous about putting anything new into my body at this point because of how severe my CFS, but he's prescribed a 5-day course of antibiotics. Would I be better off treating the bronchitis with abx than leaving it?

Can't give any advise. However an anecdote, where I withstood a very severe chronic Bronchitis for a whole year without Antibiotics (2012). At that time - seeing no chance to find a new job with my constant coughing fits - I threw the towel and went with savings for many months to a South-Indian beach. Started with many Ayurvedic remedies there, but got worse with an inner ear infection first. Then 1 month better, before an other month starting with an UTI, constant nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and intermittent fevers knocked my out for a whole other month (while I've never been on sickness-leave at home now for more than 10 years..). Then out of the blue all gone. Beside daily sea-air, sun-shine, swimming in the ocean, relaxing and experimenting with Ayurvedics, I only changed from conventional self-rolled to organically grown tobacco.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

Thinktank

I suffer from chronic bronchitis and asthma.
What helped me before was NAC + symbicort inhaler, that cleared my bronchitis within a week.