• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has IOM responded to any patient feedback

Andrew

I am getting the feeling this "openness" is nothing but a dog and pony show. Did the IOM change any panel members based on feedback. Have they made any changes to their process based on feedback from anyone? I know I asked them to allow review of the final draft by outside experts and advocates before the final draft goes out. They refused. I asked them to allow telephone testimony. They refused. I asked them to include more experts. They refused.

What about you? Have you seen any willingness to do anything other than listen politely and then do what they had planned in the first place?

Nielk

From what I understand the final panel is supposed to be decided in the study's first closed meeting.

I too asked the IOM for a phone testimony which they declined.

justinreilly

I haven't heard back on my December 22 request that given the undisclosed biases that have been discovered with the panel, that they make it clear to the panel that they must disclose all biases, conflicts of interest and any other relevant information. I am asking IoM again today.

Of course my request to cancel the contract and even to produce it were refused.

And demands for an all-expert panel, which seem to be mandated by the Statement of Work- the SoW calls for a "panel of stakeholders and thought leaders." Non-experts and those who think "CFS" is neurasthenia and neurasthenia is somatization (Allegria) and that the Oxford definition is equally valid or superior to Fukuda (Mulrow) are not "thought leaders." Stakeholders are even more egregiously under-represented, unless you view those with some stake in reiterating IoM's anti-scientific position that ME is psychological to be stakeholders.

Last edited: