• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone stopped T3 thyroid treatment? How did you do it?

I've been on T3 mono therapy for 2 1/2 years now and I take 62 mcg.

I recently learnt that this has likely suppressed my morning cortisol production (which came back outside the lower reference range on a saliva test). Prior to taking T3, my cortisol was always mid-range. I have since learnt that - in a healthy human not taking any thyroid medications- the adrenal glands are kicked into action every morning around 5 AM by the thyroid releasing T3. T3 is the stimulus for cortisol production, in other words.

I was taking my first T3 dose at 8AM, as advised by my doctor. As a result, there was no longer any physiological stimulus for my adrenals in the morning to get going from T3. And so my cortisol lowered. Or at least that is the most likely explanation.

As a result, I have felt awful from the low cortisol AND also - because T3 needs cortisol to get into the cells - I probably haven't been particularly euthyroid either. A disappointing double-whammy.

I've learnt about all this from Paul Robinson's Circadian Method T3 book as he had these problems and resolved them.

I'm now contemplating either pushing T3 earlier - i.e. taking it at 5 AM - to mimic the natural effect of T3 on cortisol. This is what Robinson recommends and it often really helps people.

However, I'm also contemplating just stopping T3 altogether and seeing how my body is doing now. My previous high reverse T3 issues were likely just a reaction to the illness. Perhaps my thyroid could regulate itself reasonably well now, especially as I am more functional then I was back then.

Has anyone got off T3 and how did you taper off? My consultant said I could just stop cold-turkey but I'd be too scared to try that.

This won't tell you how to taper off of T3, but I make too much reverse T3 resulting in hypothyroidism. I also have autoimmune thyroiditis, and make far too much cortisol that I have to control likely due to adrenal
glandular disorder, which a mini tumor or rathke's cleft cyst in my pituitary gland may be influencing
It's all endocrine system related, and in my case, immune system related

My ME/CFS doctor at Holtorf Medical Group treats me for the hypothyroidism with a combination of T3 and T4 which I take 45 mins before breakfast, around 8 to 8:30 a.m which I've taken for around 12-14 years now. My prescription for autoimmune thyroiditis is LDN, which I take before bed.

This article discusses how doctors must know the difference between when to treat with T3 and T4 for low thyroid in CFS vs. just using T3, and how a time released T3 is much more effective than short acting T3, in case you are interested: https://holtorfmed.com/articles/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-patients-experience-low-thyroid/

This article gives an explanation of one of the reasons CFS patients often have low cortisol that you may wish to consider, just skip to the "What is the Connection Between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Adrenal Fatigue?" section: https://holtorfmed.com/articles/adrenal-dysfunction-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-2/

I wish you the best with your medical treatment and your choices.

This won't tell you how to taper off of T3, but I make too much reverse T3 resulting in hypothyroidism. I also have autoimmune thyroiditis, and make far too much cortisol that I have to control likely due to adrenal
glandular disorder, which a mini tumor or rathke's cleft cyst in my pituitary gland may be influencing
It's all endocrine system related, and in my case, immune system related

My ME/CFS doctor at Holtorf Medical Group treats me for the hypothyroidism with a combination of T3 and T4 which I take 45 mins before breakfast, around 8 to 8:30 a.m which I've taken for around 12-14 years now. My prescription for autoimmune thyroiditis is LDN, which I take before bed.

This article discusses how doctors must know the difference between when to treat with T3 and T4 for low thyroid in CFS vs. just using T3, and how a time released T3 is much more effective than short acting T3, in case you are interested: https://holtorfmed.com/articles/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-patients-experience-low-thyroid/

This article gives an explanation of one of the reasons CFS patients often have low cortisol that you may wish to consider, just skip to the "What is the Connection Between Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Adrenal Fatigue?" section: https://holtorfmed.com/articles/adrenal-dysfunction-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-2/

I wish you the best with your medical treatment and your choices.
Thank you very much for sharing this.

To the best of my knowledge, and unless something else has intervened in the meantime, my high RT3 was simply the response of a healthy thyroid gland adapting to a stressful illness. So hopefully all will be well as I taper.

I will attempt to taper off my T3 at around 12.5 mg per week and I will report back here on how I do for others.