• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamate Sulfates Anxiety

Hello All, I need some help. I just got my 23andme test reports and i am lost in trying to connect the dots. One thing that i have come to realize is that my chronic anxiety stems from high glutamate and not just low Serotonin.

Anytime I take anything that contains gluten, diary, protein and glutamate based supplements and foods I do get anxious.

I noticed I have some key mutations which can cause oxidative stress and low function snps like GAD1, GAD2, D Amine Oxidase (DAO), COMT, NTRK2, SOD, SULT and SLC1A3. Since there are so many variances is there any good way of knowing which snps are pathogenic?

Now the other problem is that I cannot take NAC, Epsom Salts, Taurine as I react to anything that has Sulfur or Sulfate in it. Even topical magnesium Sulfate gave me anxious moments. Any idea why this would happen?

Thanks

Jackb23

To be honest, I don’t know the complex relationship of what may be going on between all of these chemicals and glutamate. I can relate to the latter part of your statement, however. I noticed last spring that within 5 minutes of applying selenium sulfide to my skin for tinea versicolor it increased my anxiety significantly.