• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamate and Depression

Glutamate based depression has been rising in notoriety.
This theory of depression is well known in the CFS & ME community, as high glutamate often accompanies CFS & ME. It's also often seen in Alzheimers, Benzo/ Alcohol withdrawal, Huntington's disease, and a few others.
I've attached a link that discusses underlying mechanisms in more depth.

Glutamate based depression is the only issue I have left.
I will get suicidally depressed within minutes of ingesting Monosodium Glutamate.
I *believe* that this is because the 'free' Glutamates pass into the blood unregulated.

A few inquiries and theories that I would really really really appreciate some input on:

1. Glutamate entering the brain while there is already an excess *should* not be possible due to the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB) (except for at 4 spots which do not seem to be very related to mood). Would this mean that anyone with Glutamate based depression, and noticing it increase with consumption of glutamate, has a hyper-permeable BBB? If so, then wouldn't other harmful substances also cause issues?

2. Some drugs/ supplements that should work to lower glutamate and solve neurological problems presumably associated with glutamate: Oxaloacetate, Pyruvate, and Mementine. Any ideas on why these wouldn't work?

3. Alternative theories:
Glutamate stimulating hypothalamus, therefore the pituitary gland, and releasing a spike of prolactin, is the main mechanism involved in MSG causing depression.
Or, Glutamate inhibiting the transport of certain amino acids that compete for common transporters, like Cysteine.
Glutamate may also cause a state of inflammation.
An insulin spike, effectively mimicking hypoglycaemia.

Any input would be very appreciated! I've seen some beautiful minds on this forum!
Thank you :)

Attachments

• glutamate based depression.pdf
    193.4 KB · Views: 9