• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

A lot of patients without ME/CFS end up being diagnosed or otherwise labeled with CFS. It doesn't mean much if a random "CFS" patient on the internet says something helped him or her. Though of course we're happy they're feeling better :)

Additionally, people have spontaneous recoveries which have nothing to do with the dozens of improbable "cures" they were taking at the time. Grilled oranges, sauerkraut, water pills, supplements, vitamins, thinking happy thoughts, exercise, blueberries, herbs, coffee enemas, poo pills, lights, saunas, cold showers, and a hundred other things are all supposedly The Cure, according to hundreds of different people.

The only things they have in common are a complete lack of supporting scientific evidence or a biologically plausible mechanism. Grilled oranges, fasting, and/or a raw vegan diet do not cure immune disorders.

Hi,
I just wanted to clarify that I did not get this fasting protocol from an internet post, but from a friend of a friend. He says he was a fully bedridden CFS patient, which I have no way to positively confirm, I just have to take his word for it. Believe me, I am as skeptical as anyone can possibly be about ever treating this illness, I have tried just about every treatment there is, but each year is worse than the previous, and I'm desperate for anything. When you are disabled and bedridden, how much worse can it get?

Sidereal

I just did a short fast (brought on by Doxy totally messing me up -- a new thing for me with AB's) today -- 25 hours. I felt shaky, crappy, weak and all my symptoms were totally magnified. It just shows how we all individually react so differently to things. One person's salvation is another person's hell. :eek:

I tried fasting when I was much less sick than I am now and in less than 24 hours I developed severe OI and confusion, slurring speech etc.

Hanna

@Valentijn and @Sidereal , when you mention that beeing deprived of meat especiqlly makes you feel worse, this makes me think it comes from the neurotransmitters and hormones that meat supplies, like an external support for our nervous system.

Biarritz13

An interesting link of an old case reports:

BRIEF CASE REPORTS OF MEDICALLY SUPERVISED, WATER-ONLY FASTING ASSOCIATED WITH REMISSION OF AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE

"CONCLUSION

These cases demonstrate the need for further research in the benefits of fasting. Under medical supervision, this therapy is safe and results in only transient side effects. Eating a vegan diet before fasting often resulted in partial improvement of symptoms, enabling patients to reduce their medications before the fast. Additional studies of fasting may explain how this treatment induces remission and may clarify our under- standing of the pathophysiology of rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune illnesses."