• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Martin Rhisiart 'killed himself after ME diagnosis' BBC news South East Wales

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
It is very sad to hear. Not only he has suffered but his whole family. Since this happened in June I wonder why they are reporting it now?

Sean

I wonder if that was a factor, knowing how the NHS treats pwme.
Did cross my mind that he knew what was coming, including how doctors who get it are regarded by at least some of their colleagues.

I do wonder sometimes just how many suicides are a result of undiagnosed ME, and are instead misinterpreted as being due to depression, relationship or financial troubles, etc. (Though of course all those can occur as a result of having ME.)

Condolences to his family.

patient.journey

If the ME/CFS-triggering virus he likely caught was anything like mine, the depression and anxiety may have been worse than any of the ME/CFS symptoms he was suffering from, in terms of causing suicidal ideation.

My virus triggered anxiety, depression, anhedonia and blunted affect in myself and in a few others who caught the same virus. Only later did this virus appear to trigger my ME/CFS. I find my ME/CFS symptoms themselves don't induce suicidal ideation (although I am fortunate enough not to suffer from horrible ME/CFS symptoms like muscle pain or migraines); but I find the depression and anhedonia certainly do.

Medical science has been far too slow to appreciate the role that contracting a chronic infection can have on health status. When people are fine one minute, and the next minute they are inexplicably suffering from severe anxiety, depression or dysphoria (without any good reason in their life for this to occur), then I think infection should be suspected and investigated. But this investigation very rarely happens.

It makes no sense that someone can be perfectly healthy mentally and physically, and then without any obvious reason, all of a sudden start suffering from anxiety or depression. Scientific explanations are based on uncovering cause and effect, and so when there is a sudden inexplicable mental or physical health status change, there must be a cause. The acquisition of a new virus or bacterium in the body is, in my view, a good candidate to explain such sudden health status changes.

My dear friend HIP

I was going to lose it too , am struggling to stay around the family so I can see them every day and keep the faith to keep going , pain became the daily visitor that is 24/7 around !

You see people around living and no one is understanding what are you going throw and how is every hour of your day is painful and ruff but you keep dreaming of a better tomorrow , you keep dreaming to wake up one day without pain , to live normally ( and I really forgot how that used to be ) !!

I remember that day 24/9/2011 ! I wish to meet an angle so we can make a deal to get over that day and erase it with every thing about it !!

I remember getting sick and doctors telling me that I will get better and after 6 months of pain and seeing death multiple times they told me it's ME/CFS and I have to live with it , from a normal healthy person to the sickest person with a chronic condition my doctor told me he ever met in that time and all of that without diagnose .

I wish and I dream to get better if not for me , for my old parents who pray daily for me .

I wish to know how did this happen and how to treat it ,,