• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: What’s Going On with Cochrane’s Exercise Review Mess?

Countrygirl

https://virology.ws/2023/10/28/tria...Gj0tBbu14JrDuYPzr1xN7CTJ0MSljhbLI_MQ1mnqNyINM

Trial By Error: What’s Going On with Cochrane’s Exercise Review​

Mess?​

By David Tuller
On September 4th, the Science for ME (S4ME) forum sent an open letter to Cochrane’s editor-in-chief, Karla Soares-Weiser, requesting the “immediate withdrawal or retraction” of “Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome,” a 2019 review. The review over-stated the evidence in favor of exercise therapies and has been widely and appropriately criticized for its seriously flawed methodology. In addition, the S4ME letter requested updates on the long-delayed effort to develop a new review—a process launched in the months before the coronavirus pandemic.

To pursue that process, Cochrane appointed two separate teams: one to write both a protocol for an updated review and the review itself and another to serve as an Independent Advisory Group that would oversee the endeavor. I have blogged about Cochrane multiple times, including this post last March on the exercise review situation and this update on S4ME’s letter. (Although I am a member of the forum, I was not involved in this new Cochrane initiative. But I fully agree that the review is a piece of crap and should be drowned in the bathtub or flushed down the toilet.)