• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Three Years On...................

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2018/10/28/t...5wwgrMNyknZg_Vi2nc3VlLa52eI8DG7QtVxFQilQROl6E

Trial By Error: Three Years On…
28 OCTOBER 2018
By David Tuller, DrPH

Three years ago this month, Virology Blog published my 15,000-word investigation of the PACE trial, so this seems like a good time for a bit of reflection. I certainly didn’t expect this saga to drag on this long. I’ve kept at it mainly because of the UK academic and medical establishment’s unwillingness to acknowledge what’s gone wrong, its failure to provide reasonable responses to substantive criticism, and its persistence in defending indefensible studies.

I’ve often been asked why I started this quixotic effort to examine the research behind the interventions that have served as the standard of care for the illness or cluster of illnesses variously known as ME, CFS, ME/CFS and CFS/ME. (I realize the questions of nomenclature are divisive and that people hold many different views on the matter.) After all, I have no family members with this devastating condition. My only connection to it before I got involved was through a long-tine friend who was diagnosed in the early 1990s.

So how did I latch onto this issue? In 2009, I became intrigued by the controversy

Mary

Moderator Resource
http://www.virology.ws/2018/10/28/t...5wwgrMNyknZg_Vi2nc3VlLa52eI8DG7QtVxFQilQROl6E
This is worth reading. Here's a portion:
No journalist or public health researcher would have embarked on this journey to make money or enhance his or her professional status. I decided to do what I’ve done because those outside the ME/CFS world were ignoring these serious problems and leaving debilitated patients to fend for themselves. I also recognized that the CBT/GET recommendations were based on terrible science and were potentially causing harm, since patients can suffer serious relapses after trivial amounts of exertion. I crowdfunded to support a half-time position, yet I am spending most of my work life on the effort. To suggest that I have taken on this issue and am criticizing PACE for financial gain is ridiculous.
_
It's beyond ridiculous. I have long thought we couldn't afford to pay David what he is worth.