• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: FITNET-NHS Recruitment Ad Promotes 'Recovery'

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2018/08/20/trial-by-error-fitnet-nhs-recruitment-ad-promotes-recovery/

Trial By Error: FITNET-NHS Recruitment Ad Promotes “Recovery”
20 AUGUST 2018
By David Tuller, DrPH

A British medical education company has recently disseminated a recruitment ad for a high-profile pediatric study of treatment for what it calls CFS/ME. The recruitment ad’s headline describes the intervention being investigated as “effective,” without caveat or reservation. (Full headline: “Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME): effective home treatment for teenagers”)

To back up this assertion, the recruitment ad claims that a previous Dutch study of the intervention reported “impressive” results, with 65 % in that arm achieving “recovery,” compared to only 8 % among other participants. The ad declares that these results were maintained for years. [In fact, the Dutch study reported this “recovery” rate as 66 %.]

This e-mailed recruitment ad is for FITNET-NHS, a trial of online CBT for kids. The UK’s National Institute for Health Research, an arm of the National Health Service, funded this major study, which is seeking to enroll more than 700 children. ................