• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: CBT and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2020/01/24/t...LFNTfzsufoGim6cPPS6gsI8Vogqp-xpV9OsLdJ_JVO2J8

Trial By Error: CBT and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

24 JANUARY 2020

By David Tuller, DrPH

Had things gone as planned, the PACE trial should have been able to serve as proof that so-called medically unexplained symptoms (MUS)—in this case what the investigators referred to as chronic fatigue syndrome–could be successfully treated with psychological and behavioral therapies. The Lancet published the first PACE results, which reported benefits from cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy, in early 2011. The timing dovetailed with the National Health Service’s expansion of a program called Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT).

Launched in England in 2008 to increase links between medical care and mental health services for those identified as suffering from depression and anxiety disorders, IAPT’s mandate next expanded to include other groups of patients, specifically those suffering from either long-term conditions, such as cancer, and from conditions identified as part of the MUS category. Many academic promoters of IAPT are colleagues of key PACE investigators. They are also fellow proponents of the CBT/GET paradigm for the illness, or cluster of illnesses, variously referred to as CFS, myalgic encephomyelitis, ME/CFS and CFS/ME.

Unfortunately for these folks, many segments of the international scientific community have rejected the PACE findings after public debate over the trial’s many documented missteps............

Last edited by a moderator:

lenora

Hi Morning Girl....We tried to connect many times over the years. It seems I'm now a legit poster, at long last. Personally, I preferred to look from afar when C. had the helm. Times change; I understand.

Yes, your health system may have to carry the ball for awhile, so please get behind it. The PACE study was deeply flawed and many innocent lives were put at stake; not just GB but other countries, also. Children, for heaven's sake!! Nothing glorious in it yet they followed like sheep for years. What is being done in England now? Other parts of the country? I'd be interested in knowing. My hubby is from Bath and we met in the U.S. over 54 yrs. ago. Lived in Saskatchewan & Toronto (mainly) for 10 yrs. prior to moving to Dallas 40 yrs. ago. We took a swimming pool out and filled it in. Hubby has chemical sensitivities that lead to cardiac arrests, the main one caused by malathion poisoning 20 yrs. ago. Talk about a nightmare situation!! We sat a death watch for 12 days approx. He's fine today and returned to a different job....we were incredibly fortunate.

So tell yourself or your husband to always wear protective clothing. I began hearing reports of gardeners dropping dead while using the stuff, so that propelled me forward. I've tried getting word out to the Hispanic Community...I hope so, although they're smart enough to wrap up well. Still, a downdraft can carry it. I always have to have an answer to something. We'll miss the daffodils in Bath for going on the 20th yr. in a row. We always went in the springtime, and then spent time decompressing attending Musicals in London. We've thought about crossing the channel one more time to finish seeing the museums in London, but everyone's dead except one nephew & we see him & his family with great family. For some odd reason, they have a fascination with Disneyworld, and our daughter in San Francisco recently saw him. A very nice family. We're nice people, also. I'm really exhausted & won't be answering anymore this evening. Adieu all. Lenora.

lenora

http://www.virology.ws/2020/01/24/t...LFNTfzsufoGim6cPPS6gsI8Vogqp-xpV9OsLdJ_JVO2J8

Trial By Error: CBT and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

24 JANUARY 2020

By David Tuller, DrPH
Sorry, should have been Country
Hi Morning Girl....We tried to connect many times over the years. It seems I'm now a legit poster, at long last. Personally, I preferred to look from afar when C. had the helm. Times change; I understand.

Yes, your health system may have to carry the ball for awhile, so please get behind it. The PACE study was deeply flawed and many innocent lives were put at stake; not just GB but other countries, also. Children, for heaven's sake!! Nothing glorious in it yet they followed like sheep for years. What is being done in England now? Other parts of the country? I'd be interested in knowing. My hubby is from Bath and we met in the U.S. over 54 yrs. ago. Lived in Saskatchewan & Toronto (mainly) for 10 yrs. prior to moving to Dallas 40 yrs. ago. We took a swimming pool out and filled it in. Hubby has chemical sensitivities that lead to cardiac arrests, the main one caused by malathion poisoning 20 yrs. ago. Talk about a nightmare situation!! We sat a death watch for 12 days approx. He's fine today and returned to a different job....we were incredibly fortunate.

So tell yourself or your husband to always wear protective clothing. I began hearing reports of gardeners dropping dead while using the stuff, so that propelled me forward. I've tried getting word out to the Hispanic Community...I hope so, although they're smart enough to wrap up well. Still, a downdraft can carry it. I always have to have an answer to something. We'll miss the daffodils in Bath for going on the 20th yr. in a row. We always went in the springtime, and then spent time decompressing attending Musicals in London. We've thought about crossing the channel one more time to finish seeing the museums in London, but everyone's dead except one nephew & we see him & his family with great family. For some odd reason, they have a fascination with Disneyworld, and our daughter in San Francisco recently saw him. A very nice family. We're nice people, also. I'm really exhausted & won't be answering anymore this evening. Adieu all. Lenora.
Sorry, should have been Country Girl. I'll try to remember. P.

Rufous McKinney

there are two things I know for sure.....

1) my gut is a very big mess, and this has been the case for over 58 years.....

2) the gut also contains a nervous system with a brain that has opinions and it can assert those opinions and override the opinion of the body owner.

So I know both these things are true when it comes to the gut. If I could fix # 2....I would still have # 1

I am still willing to meet with a gastrohypnotist- in an effort to converse with this Gut. (science, from that side, exists on that). But don't have one.