• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have any pets?

Jemima37

I thought I’d ask, we have 2 dogs, a border terrier age 11 and a shihtzu age 9. 2 British Shorthair cats age 8 & 9. 2 rabbits age 9 and 11 months.

We adore our pets, our home would be too quite without them. Hubby walks the dogs now but I always used to walk them. He cleans the rabbits out, I make their food and he goes out every evening and early morning to feed them and do their heat pads in the microwave to keep them warm. I feed and water the cats and dogs. Team effort.

Id love another dog and a friend of mine is a breeder of Cavalier King Charles spaniels, she’s recently had a litter. After all I’ve been through and realising how precious and short life is, I want to bite the bullet and get us another little family member but my sensible head is saying no don’t do it, even though I’ve always loved this breed. I’m always at home for our pets which is nice for them, and have recently improved a great deal. I cooked the last 2 evenings, I’ve been doing 60% of the housework, my husband is sitting down with us earlier at night as he has less chores but he’s telling me off for overdoing it haha. The breed can have many health problems so finding a good breeder who tests parents etc is hard to come by so I never got a cavalier back 11 years ago when we first Ah well, a girl can dream. 😃

I’m interested to know what pets you have and how old they are?
I

Wolfcub

Your dogs, cats and rabbits sound like wonderful companions. It must be nice to have them around as you are at home so often. Animals make good company, and have a knack of "taking us out of ourselves" quite often.
As a family, care of the animals must work out well.

No I don't have an animal companion at the moment.
I used to have a dog -might as well have been my sister. She was the closest to me imaginable. We spent 24/7 together. I loved her so much. She passed away 2012.

I went to the local animal rescue to hopefully adopt another dog (circa 2014) I was fit and well, and going for 2 3-mile walks a day.
Some strange thing came over me while I was interacting with a beautiful black female cross-breed. It was as if I almost "heard" a voice in my head saying "no...that dog will live another 12 years and you don't know what's going to happen to you yet."
I ran away crying.
Had no idea that I would develop ME/CFS at that point.

I am completely alone. No one to help, and no one to take a dog (or any animal) if anything happened to me. Though I have a few friends and two remaining family members, no one would be able to help.
Even an overnight stay in hospital would be unworkable if I had a dog.

In the past it was just me and my dog from 2001 (ish) to 2012. We were very very lucky that I was super fit all that time. I daren't risk it now. The last 2 years has taught me a lesson.

Rufous McKinney

I am completely alone. No one to help, and no one to take a dog (or any animal) if anything happened to me. Though I have a few friends and two remaining family members, no one would be able to help.
Even an overnight stay in hospital would be unworkable if I had a dog.

I am sorry thats the case...dogs are so life-enriching...and we have ALWAYS had a beloved furry warm thing to snuggle and love.

But we can't have one now...in an apartment and can't go on dog walks. Dogs= territorial=must visit the territory.

My husband and I should do- one of those things you can't do when you a have a dog. (when you can't leave them with anybody else, which seems to be the dogs I get)....

We did 7 hours of San Francisco once. THe dog stayed with my best friend, where we were visiting. He cried for the entire 7 hours, howling in the window, tragic and abandoned. Darn it.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
No animals at the moment though up until 5 years ago, we had cats my whole life. I miss having a fur baby but know I don't have the energy to take care of one so even though I often look longingly at the Humane Society adoption pages, I just know we can't have one. :(

keepswimming

I have a lovely black and white cat who is 11 years old, she was a rescue, we adopted her 6 years ago. Since getting ill I've appreciated her company more than ever. She's loved it since I've been unwell as it means more time with me! We have a daily routine, I tend to feel at my best in the morning so I do things then, and then in the afternoon I go to bed and my cat comes and snuggles with me. Love her 😻 they're so comforting 😻

valentinelynx

Hi, I'm Cherry. I have 2 pet humans. My favorite is the male, he brushes me whenever I ask (well, almost, since I ask all the time!). I also have a sister. Her name is Shady: fits her, she's good at throwing shade... She's a tortie, I'm a calico. I'm the stunning beauty, of course. There's also a dog here, whom we kitties mostly ignore. She's a Shiba Inu, which if you know anything about the breed, means she's a nutjob, but sweet. Of course, I can't really talk, since I hide under the bathroom sink when strangers come by. Unless I know they are the good ones that give me Temptations treats (Otherwise known as "kitty crack"! If you haven't given it to your kitties, you have to start, now! Of course, then they'll never stop asking for more...).

My sister and I are 6 and we were adopted from the Humane Society as scrawny little things. I now weigh a comfortable (for me...) 17 pounds, while my sister is a lean, mean 11 pounds. Lupe, the Shiba Inu is 11 but most people think she's a puppy. She was born in Park City, Utah, where my pet humans lived at the time, before the female human had her relapse. Lupe loved the snow, but hasn't seen it since she got moved to Tucson, AZ when she was just a puppy. I heard that my humans had other cat owners before us, three brothers, but they were indoor-outdoor cats. Not a good thing to be in neighborhoods where coyotes roam :cry:. Me and Shady have zero interest in going "out there"!!

Yes, that's me in the avatar... :D Thanks for asking.

Jemima37

Lovely to hear about your pets. They’re hard work and difficult when you have CfS at times but bring us so much joy at the same time. 💕

Sorry you lost your dog Wolfcub 💕