• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dilemma

outdamnspot

I'd like to test an OTC anti-histamine (too unwell to actually get to an immunologist) to see if it would help my food sensitivities/histamine reactions.

However, Zyrtec contains lactose and Telfast contains maize starch, both of which I think I'm sensitive to. So this sucks. Is it possible the benefits might outweigh the trace amounts in each tablet? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Wolfcub

I wonder if there is an inhaler or nasal spray option for an antihistamine that suits you?
I don't have experience with antihistamines, so I don't know what options there are, but I was wondering if there is an alternative which might by-pass the gut (no worries about maize starch or lactose that way)? Or it might be prescription only.... not sure.

Wishful

If you're unsure that you have significant allergic reactions to those things, then I think that trace amounts are unlikely to cause problems. If your whole face puffed up every time you ate something with slight traces of maize-derived products, that would be a different situation.

If your allergic reactions aren't life-threatening, I suggest testing small amounts of possible allergens to see what you really do need to avoid.

Moof

If your problem with lactose is due to lack of the lactase enzyme that breaks it down, you can buy it easily as a supplement. I used to feel as if someone had kicked me in the stomach if I ate lactose, but I had a medication that contained it; taking lactase at the same time worked well.

(Eventually, after supplementing with lactase for a couple of years, I regained the ability to produce it myself and can now eat dairy without problems – I'v heard other people say the same, but have no idea why it happens!)