• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Denise Faustman research on how to reverse autoimmunity in diabetes I

I'm going to crib from her Wikipedia page here...

Faustman's current research is based on the observation that autoreactive T cells, that is, T cells programmed to attack the body's own cells and tissues, are more sensitive than normal T cells to the effects of TNF-alpha (TNF-α), a cytokine that influences the immune system. Under some conditions, TNF-α causes T cells to undergo apoptosis, or programmed cell death. Faustman's hypothesis, contrary to conventional thinking, is that blocking TNF-α actually promotes the survival of undesirable autoreactive T cells, and that certain autoimmune diseases can be treated by stimulating TNF-α to trigger apoptosis in autoimmune T cells.[3] TNF-α is a strong promoter of inflammation, and several treatments have been developed to block the effects of TNF-α in chronic and autoimmune diseases, including adalimumab, infliximab, and etanercept. However, side effects of these drugs can include new-onset autoimmunity and flare-ups of autoimmune symptoms.

The studies have been replicated and it's been shown to have an effect on Sjogren syndrome, another AI disease. Of course, ME CFS doesn't fit neatly into the autoimmune category as seemingly no cells are attacked (??), more like the whole system is running off kilter.

Still, with ME CFS funding the way it is, any immune news is good.